Three months of commuting Gold Coast to Bris - my impression

ozziepom

I've read quite a few threads on commuting GC to Brisbane and was initially put off the idea, however when we arrived I really didn't fancy living in Brisbane or it suburbs (no offence meant and I'm no stranger to the area, lived here before) so our initial accommodation was a serviced apartment in Southport - Meriton, highly recommended.

For the first few weeks we alternated between driving and taking the train from Helensvale, it was just a bit too longer commute for me, at least 90 mins each way in the car and longer on the train. However much of this was actually getting to the freeway or train station. We've now settled in Hope Island and been doing the drive for 2 months. I have to say its not bad, provided we leave by 7:00 we're in the CBD by 8:00 9 out of 10 days, occasionally 7:45. Travelling home is similar, we leave at 4PM and are home around 5:00. Nearby areas with similar commutes would be Helensvale, Pacific Pines, Coomera etc. None are on the beach but Paradise Point is 10-15 mins drive and Labrador another 10, 10 more to Surfers if that's for you.

We've all but given up on the train, it is punctual but so slow and so crowded, its known as the Bombay Express due to overcrowding.

One thing to mention is the driving on the Pacific Motorway has to be experienced to be believed! As you can pass on both sides basically you get 3 lanes of 110kmh traffic driving at most a couple of car lengths apart, and even then some folk swerving between lanes to make up the odd position. Traffic get heavy around Springwood and you have 10-15 km of stop start traffic, currently there are roadworks. Also as my wife and I travel together we get to use the T2 lane, but TBH I don't think it makes a huge difference.

All in all, the commute is a pain, but I love living on (or at least very near) the Gold Coast and for us that's the compromise as neither of us are likely to find work there in the foreseeable future.

I don't visit the forums much having been in Aus for a while but though the above may be useful to people looking to move to SEQLD.

Great to have some real life experience of this commute. One of the guys in my office commutes from Hope Island to Albion every day by car and it's a bit hit and miss...he either comes in early or late to avoid the traffic. He says it would be a nightmare otherwise.

I suppose as long as the pros of living there outweigh the cons of working somewhere else then it's all good.

I did my commute from Daisy Hill to Albion today in 30 mins during rush hour, up that same route. At the same time of day earlier this week it took me almost an hour and a half. Those roadworks from Loganholme to Springwood are a right pain.

• 2 months later...

That is all very interesting. My wife has been offered a job in Hope Island and I one in Marsden. We are planning to live in the Gold Coast with me commuting. Thanks for the taking the initiative and giving the tips especially about the timing and the traffic build up from Springwood which fortunately is beyond Marsden.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nicole63

We have been looking at hope island my husband is based in Brisbane .. Every house I have looked at I keep coming back to hope island .. The houses look amazing. I worked out it's 50 mins to brisbane is this about right

Guest IrishMiss

Thank you. I am also considering moveing to GC and will probably be based near Southport. I will only have to commute to Brisbane CBD twice a week so I can accept a long enough journey :)

We have been looking at hope island my husband is based in Brisbane .. Every house I have looked at I keep coming back to hope island .. The houses look amazing. I worked out it's 50 mins to brisbane is this about right

I live very close to Hope Island, be aware a lot of houses there are on small blocks so the houses are nice, especially waterfront but the next door could be only a few feet away.

I wouldn't personally commute from much further south or east, my trip is only 5 mins to the freeway and I don't want to make it any longer.

For commuting 50 mins to CBD is pretty optimistic, having done it for 6 months now anything under an hour is a very good run, lucky to get one like that a fortnight, mostly 1:00-1:15 occasionally longer, and thats leaving around 6:30AM, if you left it beyond 7:00ish expect it to be longer still.

As I said above the driving has to be seen to be believed, you need a very calm attitude as many of the drivers seem insane.

As I wrote the original post I was planning to do a follow up but will wait until after Christmas, its been especially bad the last 6 weeks.

Archived