Financial advice req - anyone help?

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Can anyone recommend a good financial advisor with knowledge of both UK and Australian financial stuff?

We are due to complete our house sale soon and will have over 150k to put in a bank or somewhere until we head to Oz in Feb. Also want to know the easiest and cheapest way to transfer it...but in a simpley explained manner!! Advice re if tax is payable on it etc, and what sort of account ot invest it in when we get there.

Would like to meet and chat with someone if poss, we live in Devon.

Anyone recommend??

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi The Brownings

Alan Collett of Go Matilda is the right man for this every time because in addition to being a Registered Migration Agent, he is also a Chartered Accountant both in the UK and in Australia. Nobody knows more about the financial side of migration to Oz than he does, I suspect, because he understands how it all ties in with the various visas as well.

His e-mail addy is alan-at-gomatilda.com

He also has a separate accountancy practice in the UK (plus maybe another in Oz but I do not know about that bit.) The UK accountancy practice is here and there are tax leaflets that you can obtain from them. Frankly, I am completely brain-dead about tax so I couldn't understand a word of the ones I obtained but that is not the fault of the leaflets - they are excellent. It is simply that my brain shuts down completely when it hears the word "Tax" and refuses to try to understand anything about it.

Collett & Co

Best wishes

Gill

Guest breezy

Browning Gang

You dont pay tax on the proceeds of the sale of your primary residence. You are only liable for tax on any interest earned on the sum deposited in the bank.

Breezy

Guest Working to fish

Hi guys

We didn't use Alan Collett as our agent but we're in the same boat, just about to sell our agent and will have some funds which we're looking to do something with. We have a financial advisor but not sure if he's that clued up on oz. Does anyone know if this guy is happy to speak to whoever?

Eddie and Tina:spinny:

Guest UK2Perth

Eddie, Alan was happy to speak to me even before I agreed to go with Go Matilda. He is really helpful so why don't you send him a PM on here for some general advice?

Guest Working to fish

Thanks for that UK2Perth. i'll give him a pm as it really is a minefield.

Thanks for the reassurance.

eddie,tina:wubclub:

Guest Working to fish

Thanks for that UK2Perth. i'll give him a pm as it really is a minefield.

Thanks for the reassurance.

eddie,tina:wubclub:

If you are going to move money to Australia at the moment then you might want to think about drip feeding it across as exchange rates have been very volatile. Look at the Hifx and Xe.com services for exchange services. As far as investing it you should look at your needs and objectives first and decide how long you can invest it for. In the short term you could park the money in a high interest savings account like the ING DIRECT which has a special offer of 7% at the moment " At Call" which means acccess within 24 hours and no fees or charges.

Tax wise you are best to speak to someone like Alan Collett who is top of his field and then he will refer you to a Financial Adviser in your area like me for Investment Advice as you need a Financial Services Licence to advise on financial products here in Australia. Take your time and be careful about fees charged on investments here in OZ. Look around and get some quotes and look at the overall ongoing cost not just the entry fee.

regards

Liam

• 3 months later...

Hi we will have the same situation £, and hubby is a electrician! Could you tell us how you got on with your original question? I can't seem to PM you. We have been wondering also where to put our house sale £ in UK, does it go straight to hifx and do you get interest with them and then in Aus what is the best place to put the £ a high interest bank account? We see your flights are booked, so good luck with the move! Regards Bernie.

Can anyone recommend a good financial advisor with knowledge of both UK and Australian financial stuff?

We are due to complete our house sale soon and will have over 150k to put in a bank or somewhere until we head to Oz in Feb. Also want to know the easiest and cheapest way to transfer it...but in a simpley explained manner!! Advice re if tax is payable on it etc, and what sort of account ot invest it in when we get there.

Would like to meet and chat with someone if poss, we live in Devon.

Anyone recommend??

Guest Geoff Hardy

Hi Geoff Hardy here - are you getting excited?

What part of Australia are you coming to? We live in Queensland. If you are coming here I have some contacts that will help. My email adress is: eegeoff@bigpond.com

Kind regards

Geoff

Archived