Antihistamine

Guest momma

We have just started to hit our first hayfever season in Perth and are wondering if there is a cheap kind of anti-histamines. My OH has to take them at least once a day throughout the year, sometimes twice a day, so we were shocked to find that drugs with her usual active ingredient, Cetirizine, are $15 for 10. That works out as almost $100 a month! Back in the UK they are as cheap as £2 a month from the supermarkets.

Are we missing a cheap local alternative or should we consider getting them posted from the UK? Is that even legal?!

Help!

Best bet is to search online, here's a link for cetirizine:

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--219_Pharmaceuticals?Find=cetirizine

• 5 years later...
Hi does anyone know the equivalent of Piriton (uk) in Oz?

Ta

Avil is the closest brand name.

Tablets contain pheniramine maleate 45.3mg. It's much cheaper than many of the more recent brands, but works better for me. Some people find it makes them drowsy though.

Piriton (chlorphenamine) is not available as a single constituent medicine in Australia. It is however available in many compounded medicines (containing other medicines), that may contain paracetamol, phenylephrine, etc. If I remember correctly all are S3, that is only available from a chemist/pharmacy, but does not need a prescription.

The preference for most prescribing/dispensing health professionals would be to advise use of one of the several non-sedating antihistamines first, in an attempt to achieve therapeutic effect while minimizing adverse effects such as drowsiness, and the potential injury that may ensue.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Piriton is Polaramine

Phenergam is Promethazine

They are completely different, both are sedating but very effective. For non-sedating try Claratine or Telfast but ask for the chemists own generic variety as they are much cheaper, they last for between 12 and 24 hours depending on their release in the body - check. For severe allergic reactions do not use a slow release go for one of the older fast release like Polaramine or Phenergan.

Archived