Has anyone moved to OZ with an only child?

Guest ChocALicious

Guest ChocALicious

My daughter will be 12 turning 13 when we move to Perth (I'm a mental health nurse) and was just wondering how was it for any parents who have moved to OZ with an only child? Any challenges faced? Are they any after school clubs/programs? Lucky for me and herself she is very outgoing and makes friends easily, I would find after school activities such as judo etc depending on my shift at work. It will just be the two of us as her dad is no longer with us.

Also I was wondering if you could recommend any suburbs please as I'm looking for:

*quality education

*low crime rate

*good cost of living

*jobs/employment for nurses

*family oriented/community spirit/feel

*great transport links

*multicutural

Guest dawnpepper

Hi, we moved to Perth nearly 2 years ago with an only child who is now 5 and loves it here. We live in Baldivis so can only comment here. There are community activities which are mainly sport based. My daughter does dancing, teeball and swimming and there are dozens of others to choose from.

They are very family orientated over here so don't suppose you or your daughter will find it difficult to make friends and this is a good forum too. I too am a nurse but am paediatric trained and have never found it difficult to find work. I googled hospitals from the UK and made contact that way.

Baldivis is not multicultural unless you include aussies and English but has the rest going for it. All the best.

Dawn.

Guest ChocALicious

Thank you Dawn for the information, its just i was a bit concerned as we come from a large family on my side and a med size on her dad's both we are extremely close with and in frequent contact so i was just a bit concered that she'd find it difficult to adjust being away from all that but you have helped to put my mind at ease. I will look into Baldivis suburb

Guest dawnpepper

if you come from a close knit family then you will probably be more homesick than us and miss them terribly at first but when you start to build up your social networks you will soon settle. A positive attitude and determination will also go a long way. Just let me know if we can help any further.

She will feel isolated especially if she is away from a close knit extended family. Being an only is always lonely IMHO but on your own, on the other side of the world it would probably be just that little bit lonelier. Being a first generation migrant is always isolating because, with the best will in the world, friends are not family - they have their own families to be with.

Good luck, I am sure you are both resilient enough to cope with it.

Archived