can anyone help me work out which school year?

niahshw

Hi everyone.

I am currently trying to work out what school year my daughter would be in when we get to Oz. She was born Nov 2004. We are looking to move in 3 years once I have finished my degree so she will be in year 6 in the UK, we hope to move anytime after March 2015 but hope to get her into school for the beggining of the Oz school year 2016.

Help, im finding this so confusing!

Oh by the way we will be moving to the Melbourne area.

Hi, I am glad I'm not the only one getting confused too :confused:. We are moving to Melbourne next year possibly in January. I have a 15 year old and I keep getting different answers about what year she will be in, some say 10 and others say 11.

I know I'm not helping but just to let you know that you arent on your own with this matter.

Hope all goes well.

Hi everyone.

I am currently trying to work out what school year my daughter would be in when we get to Oz. She was born Nov 2004. We are looking to move in 3 years once I have finished my degree so she will be in year 6 in the UK, we hope to move anytime after March 2015 but hope to get her into school for the beggining of the Oz school year 2016.

Help, im finding this so confusing!

Oh by the way we will be moving to the Melbourne area.

http://www.factmonster.com/world/statistics/school-years.html

I don't know if this link will help you but I have heard that children don't have to start school till they are 6 in Aus and the terms run from jan-feb.

:wubclub:

I don't know if this link will help you but I have heard that children don't have to start school till they are 6 in Aus and the terms run from jan-feb.

Thanks for that link, I was happy to read about the class sizes being an average of 18, that is much lower than our schools.

Hi, I am glad I'm not the only one getting confused too :confused:. We are moving to Melbourne next year possibly in January. I have a 15 year old and I keep getting different answers about what year she will be in, some say 10 and others say 11.

I know I'm not helping but just to let you know that you arent on your own with this matter.

Hope all goes well.

I know this sounds awful but its nice to know im not the only one getting confused! I am thinking my daughter will be arriving in Oz a couple of months before starting year 7, if im right that is quite good and will give us time to settle in before going to school.

Have you already been looking at schools or will you do that once you get there?

What area of melbourne are you going to?

Although the Education Act says that children dont have to attend school until they turn 6, most do, indeed, start school at 5. So a child born in November 2004 is turning 7 in 2011 so this year she would have been in year 1 (the cut off date for Victoria is 30 April) so in 2015 she will be in year 5 (school year starts in January but she can start any time during the year and will be placed with her age peers)

A 15 year old with a birthday to turn 16 before 30 April 2012 will be in year 11 whereas one with a birthday to turn 16 after 30 April 2012 will be in year 10 (in Victoria)

Archived