Working Holiday or Student visa?

AndyW

Hope this makes sense.

I am on my way to the Brisbane area soon and my daughter (22 yrs of age) has asked about coming over. Daughter didn't get herself a great education and hasn't exactly forged herself the start of a brilliant career. Though has and does work.

For my daughter we was originally looking at the Working holiday visa but it has left me wondering about what will happen after the visa has ended. I doubt very much that she could get herself into a position of sponsorship through work.

So I got thinking about using a Student visa first and then if we have to, applying for a Working holiday visa.

Now, Student visa's, where the hell do we start??

Can anyone help or advise with who,what,when or a phone number to call.

Hope people can make sense of the rambling.

Thanks very much.

Andy

You're right to be concerned about how she will be able to stay after a WHV. The short answer is that if she has no skills in an eligible occupation, she will have to leave the country. Employers can only sponsor people who have skills in an occupation that is listed as eligible for that visa.

A Student visa is a workable option BUT ONLY if she chooses to study for an occupation that will make her eligible for either an employer sponsored or points tested visa and ONLY if she actually studies and attends her course. If she doesn't, her Student visa will be cancelled and she'll have to leave the country. If she's unlikely to work at gaining qualifications, a Student visa would be a waste of money and it would be a considerable amount at international student rates.

So, unless the 12 or 24 months of a WHV are all she wants, she need to chart a course to get qualifications that are likely to lead to a visa. Working towards getting an employer sponsored visa is probably the best approach given the fact that the SOL (for an independent visa) can be very changeable and considering the major changes that will be made to the applicant selection process from mid-2012. A reasonable place to start would be the ENSOL which is the list of occupations eligible for permanent employer sponsored visas and it tends not to change much over the years. If she is willing to work towards something on there, then her next step would be to choose an educational institution in or around Brisbane and then apply for a Student visa - she has plenty of time to get everything in place before the beginning of the next school/uni year in Febrary/March.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010L03158 The ENSOL

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/chooser/ Student visas

If she won't put the work in on a Student visa, then a year or so on a WHV and the possibility that she may meet an Aussie who'll sponsor her for a Partner visa is her only chance of being able to make a permanent move.

Guest MM2Melb

Hi Andy,

I just thought it is worth adding that the fees for overseas students are extremely high! If your daughter is looking to work in a long term career and if money is a concern maybe it might be worth considering starting her studies in the UK before finishing the last year or two at the higher fees in Oz (and still based on the same research as detailed by Ozmaniac...).

The other two things to consider are doing the WHV first, there is nothing to rule out a later student visa application and might let her have time to really sort out what she would like to do/study and where. She could maybe start some open university subjects at the same time?

Alternatively is there any way she could be added to your visa or make a family related application for her own?

Sarah

Archived