Le Creuset / Le Chasseur??

JoandJon

Hi all,

Hubby and I are avid cooks, and we both love our Le Creuset casserole and wok.

I'm wondering if we should fork out for more saucepans etc before we come over and shove them in the container... (Of course we'll make sure they're used beforehand)

How much are they to buy in Oz now? When I was still living there I couldn't afford decent stuff! Any clues for where to look and compare would be great :)

Hi all,

Hubby and I are avid cooks, and we both love our Le Creuset casserole and wok.

I'm wondering if we should fork out for more saucepans etc before we come over and shove them in the container... (Of course we'll make sure they're used beforehand)

How much are they to buy in Oz now? When I was still living there I couldn't afford decent stuff! Any clues for where to look and compare would be great :)

You won't want to buy them here! I noticed there are a few places that will ship here and are far far cheaper. Definitely purchase before you get here I'd say unless you're worried about weight on the container.

Also Bodum and decent branded knives are pretty pricey over here (some damn obsession with Masterchef is to blame I'm told). That said, kitchens are fairly personal things so you may choose to embrace the aussie lifestyle and buy local to fit in - I wish I'd brought a few more fancy things with me but am happy with the cheaper end here for other kitchenware essentials. As you describe yourselves as avid cooks - I'd err on the better the devil you know yadda yadda ;)

~Tyler

Ps just take the labels off before you ship, no need to actually use them - unless you left the price on the bottom :goofy:

Lol, cheers for that - I've seen the prices and they're a little yucky.

Mind you, if you're already in Oz, just go for Le Chasseur - they're a great alternative, and although it's still cheaper, the margin isn't nearly so bad :)

We've got several knives that we're shipping, but will wait till Oz to buy a few more because we've fallen in love with some beautiful Japanese knives that are cheaper in Oz :) I love the folded steel and the symmetry of them, and OH has been searching high & low here for the same 'perfect knife' he found in a melbourne kitchen shop a couple of years ago but didn't buy... I think I have an idea what he'll be spending his first paycheque on...

And I'm afraid Tyler, that if I bought new saucepans I'd be hardpressed to NOT use them :)

We've already bought ourselves a pressie from here - a 70cm paella dish and gas burner to power it :swoon:

We'll be going local for everything else - I already have a hand-glazed set of crockery from Warrandyte that's been stored carefully under Mum & Dad's house waiting for my return :)

It's going to be exciting going through the boxes in storage - after almost 10years I haven't got a clue what's going to be there apart from that!

Shame they don't have TK Maxx in Aus - I've been stocking up on a few nice kitchen bits - and using them! - to take with us. I love the baking trays - they clean up great and have lasted way better than any other I've owned. Also got some very cool, and sharp!, coloured kitchen knives. All much cheaper than I'd have expected to pay.

I've heard Trade Secrets is pretty much the Aussie equivalent of TK Maxx, but wonder whether it sells an equally good selection of quality stuff?

You'll be able to get most stuff (good quality) for the right price if you're prepared to look around and wait for sales :)

I think i'll have hubby keep an eye on Ebay for second-hand Le Creuset or Le Chasseur sets - if they are available at the right price we'll go for it, otherwise we'll make do with what we've already got until the time comes :)

Archived