How much for insurance to ship tea-cartons?

BrownEyedGal

Hi All

I'm off in a few weeks and have rang around for quotes on shipping tea cartons across to Sydney.

PSS are doing a deal at present (size 51x40x61), pay for 2 and get one free. Cost is £115 inc vat with a £30 deposit BUT excluding delivery, pickup and quarantine charges, (and a fee if you pay by credit card). Oh you pay more if you are more then 30km from Sydney ports.

Excess Baggage are charging £137 per tea chest 61x48x44 with a £50 deposit, fee if paying by credit card etc. Maximum weight with both companies is 35kgs and both offer a door to door service - hope this is true.

Both have stated approx 8-12 weeks for arrival of tea cartons.

My question is what is the general % to pay for insurance? I've been quoted 5% of the total value but I wouldn't mind finding a different insurance company rather than use PSS.

I guess I went with PSS because I just want to get this sorted as a few weeks is not long.

I'd be grateful for any comments, advice, ideas etc.

BEGal

Guest The Pom Queen

You will be fine with PSS, personally I don't like using the removal companies own insurance because it usually works out a lot more expensive. Have you tried Insure Your Move?

Hi Moving2Melbourne

Thanks so much for that information. I just telephoned them and got the quote for insurance.

The offer that the PIO August newsletter has for £50 off for international re-location, couldn't apply to me as my household items will fit in 3 teacartons - bit unfair cos every bit counts now!

BEGal

Guest mandi1971

We've used excess baggage before and had no problems, we decided not to take the insurance, took a big risk but it worked out ok :wideeyed:

Mandi

Archived