Tips for using a shipper

LYNDAMUMFORD

Just a few heads up comments to make after shippers came last week :-

We have a 3 bed house (no garage, minimalistic really, left a few appliances behind & did not take garden furniture or bedroom furniture, other than small bedside cabinets/couple of book cases) - NO WAY did all that we did have fit into the 20ft container. Subsequently we are having all that was left shipped over by SHARED container, cost of approx £1000 - this is detailed in our quote, but was given the impression by the estimator that it would - hmmmmmm

If your loft isnt boarded up the packers wont go up & get it due to health & safety-subsequently hubby & I had to go up & get it all down ourselves, This is mentioned in the terms & conditions & was told to me when estimator came round, not that I have any recolection of it!

2 men to pack a house took an age & over ran by some 4 hours, should have finished at 3pm but didnt go til 7.30pm

2 chaps packing frightened us to death with various comments, ie if your gear gets wet it will go mouldy, we're not taking it out in the rain, the company will pass the costs on etc etc etc

Weather(ie torrential rain ) have no bearing on events, if you choose not to load the goods then you will loose your slot & get to pay again

Not the best experience of our lives, but over with now, thank goodness

oh dear, sorry you had such a rubbish experience. Really hope it arrives at the other end all in tact for you.

We have shippers coming in 2 weeks and we have a garage full of stuff, garden furniture and beds, appliances etc. Its all "supposed" to fit in a 20ft container - so we shall see!!!

Have a safe trip

Beck

John Mason - real shame as I have seen so many good reports, one of thereasons we choose them. Think we just had 'a bad day at the office'!!

I've got them coming to quote us tomorrow as the reviews on here have all been so positive - slightly nervous now:wideeyed:

Have you got anywhere to stay yet? We're staying in Melbourne for the weekend to catch up with my sister & her family then heading down to Geelong on the Tuesday. We've booked four weeks at the Barwon Valley Lodge. Can't say I'll be an expert on all things Geelong by the time you arrive but give me a shout if you need a helping hand, bottle of opened wine and a glass, ear to bend etc etc!!!!

I've got them coming to quote us tomrrow as the reviews on here have all been so positive - slightly nervous now:wideeyed:

Am sure ours was an unusual set of circumstances, but its good to be aware that you need to consider any overspill coming later & that it will be shared container & at a cost - all makes sense just need to know it and the loft bit. Luckily I took extra cover for mildew (phew!!!)

Have you got anywhere to stay yet? We're staying in Melbourne for the weekend to catch up with my sister & her family then heading down to Geelong on the Tuesday. We've booked four weeks at the Barwon Valley Lodge. Can't say I'll be an expert on all things Geelong by the time you arrive but give me a shout if you need a helping hand, bottle of opened wine and a glass, ear to bend etc etc!!!!

Hi Sue

Hubby starts work in Gisborne 5th Sep & we are staying at his bosses house (attached annex) until we find a rental. We are drawn to Geelong as had good recommedations about schools and follow on schools (we have 2 children 10 & 7), plus the beach nearby & possible work for me .

Please keep in touch Sue, the offer of a beer & barbie is there from us once you have found your feet. Using positive thoughts now, the strongest thought being on the beach with wine/beer in hand ...........

Archived