Should we use an Immigration expert?

Guest smadalek

Guest smadalek

My partner is Australian and we have been together for a little over a year. I am looking to move back with him when he returns to Australia later next year.

Having looked up the Defacto Visa application process on the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship I'm feeling a little more than overwhelmed! It all looks so complicated and I am worried that I may do something wrong or provide insufficient information. Has anyone else applied recently? Do you recommend attempting it without an immigration expert? It already costs so much I don't want to have to pay even more money if it is more straightforward than it looks!

Thank you in advance for any advice that you may be able to give!

Kelly & Matt

Hi, my partner Jason has just received his subclass 100 visa. We applied in March 11 and did all the paperwork ourselves, but we have been together for 7 years and I am an Aussie national. It is important to have a lot of evidence ie joint account, bills, wills. Also it helps to have independent references from people with official backgrounds and have a clean CRB. We found it fairly straightforward, although laborious paper gathering. Have proof of funds also as he is your sponsor and will need to be able to support you if necessary. If you are a nurse or teacher or engineer it will be a breeze! Good luck! Kx

Guest GoldCoastMag
snip> I'm feeling a little more than overwhelmed! It all looks so complicated and I am worried that I may do something wrong or provide insufficient information. Has anyone else applied recently? Do you recommend attempting it without an immigration expert? It already costs so much I don't want to have to pay even more money if it is more straightforward than it looks!<snip

Hi, for a straightforward application many couple choose to collect the evidence, fill out the sponsorship and application with the help from the forum, others prefer the peace of mind of an agent to overlook it all and smooth out any issues or provide confidence that all is correctly completed.

We were asked for extra information by the CO (case officer) so unlike some countries where if a piece of information is missing a denial is issued, here DIAC do seem to work with you.

A lot of the work is in completing the documentation correctly and collecting the evidence proving the depth and length of the relationship with bills, financial statements and statements from people regarding the genuineness of your relationship. This would still have to be collected to hand to an agent, so we chose to apply ourselves and were approved last year.

back in Qld a year now and loving it;

We were asked for extra information by the CO (case officer) so unlike some countries where if a piece of information is missing a denial is issued, here DIAC do seem to work with you.

Usually for partner or family visas they seek further information, but they are not obliged to and do not always do so.

We used a migration agent (not Westly Russell but he does come recommended!), even though we'd been together for a decade and had children. Was happy to pay for the peace of mind and someone to nag me along. That said, partner visas are pretty straightforward compared to the others.

Archived