Very excited moving in January :)

Guest stephabriggs

Guest stephabriggs

Hey, very new to this so just getting used to it. My fiance and i are moving to Perth in January and just looking for some advice on costs of living, jobs, etc

We are very sociable and a young couple aged 26 and 27 and would like to know what it is like in Perth, we know it's relaxed which we are happy about but still want to meet some young families and friends to have a laugh with.

Lately everyone we have told is quite negative about prices and how everything is soo expensive, not sure what to think but no matter what we are on a high about emigrating.

Look forward to replies as will put our mind at ease lol!! thanks x

:smile:

Hey,

We are moving at the end of December and are also worried about the cost of living. I've just sold my car and want to use that money for a car over there but having looked online I don't think it will stretch very far so may have to resort for having a shed for a while!

Everyone says it gets easier the sooner you start earning $$ and stop comparing to the UK. We don't have jobs lined up yet but are planning on just applying to agencies etc before we go and hopefully have a few interviews arranged for when we get there. We are also thinking about doing shared accommodation for a few months until we are settled in work and figure out where we actually want to live, this should keep costs down, we don't mind doing this cos i'm only 27 and it will help to meet new people.

You didn't mention what kind of jobs you're looking for?

Becki x

Guest stephabriggs

Hi Becki,

Ater all the stressful paperwork, we now have the stress of finding jobs and accom lol :) my uncle lives in Freemantle so we are lucky as he is putting us up for the first 6 weeks. Ryan is a plasterer and i work in travel, we got our emigration visa as they need Ryans skill out there. I have been looking at a few websites but not sure when is best to apply as not actually going untill Jan.

What area are you staying in? what jobs are you looking for?

Have you booked all your flghts? We are going to stop off in Dubai for a few nights on the way out, im very excited now but nervous too.

Steph x

Guest mackemsok

HI Ladies,

Yes the cost of living is higher here in Perth if you compare it to the UK, however, on average the wages are higher so one outweighs the other. It may seem expensive if you come on holiday as people base the cost of living against the UK salaries. For example my daughter is a Dental Nurse, she is 20yrs and has just passed her exam and earns $21 per hour but can achieve about $25 which is around 14.50 - 15.60 per hour. My best friend works as a Dental Practice manager in the UK, has been there 20 yrs and earns 10.50 per hour. Don't worry about it, you will live within your means in a beautiful state which has kept a smile on my face for 2 and half years :-)

Guest stephabriggs

Hi,Macemosk,

Thanks alot for your reply the information you have given is great, really put my mind at ease, just can not wait to come to Perth now, very excited.

Thanks again

Guest Colinwares

Hi steph

Me and my wife are in the same boat as you. Pretty much exactly. We are a young couple 30 and 31 and we are moving to Fremantle on 14th feb. My uncle is also putting us up for a while until we get settled and find jobs etc. I lived there for a while 8 years ago when I was doing my year working visa. My wife also lived in Melbourne for 6 years. It would be good to maybe meet up as I don't know about you but we don't know many people there and it would be good to have have some fellow scottish folk to have a drink and laugh with.

Colin

Guest stephabriggs

Hi Colin,

You were right when you said you both are in the same boat lol!!! Yip would be great to meet up when you both arrive in Freemantle, we will have been there for a month so hopefully we can help yous out :). Another great sight is perthpoms incase your not on that one.

Steph

Hello, I am in the same boat too..... we going in March if all goes to plane, lived out there 3 years ago where i met my husband. who is english...

were moving to port kennedy.. iI am not worried about wrk, I earnt as much be a deli assistant (casual) in a super market and as i do know in the UK being a nvq level 3 HCA... you work for the weekend out there.

My husband is a carpenter and has work lined up already with previous contacts.

It so exciting

Katy

Guest mandi1971

We are heading out January / February to Perth. We are not concerned with the cost of living, you just have to be careful you dont live above your means. A lot of people compare prices to the UK and it'll drive you mad if you keep comparing. You will be earning more $$s than ££s which normally makes up for the price difference and you have to learn to shop about, read local papers for discounts and offers etc.

We haven't booked flights yet but are in the process of job hunting and getting quotes for containers, pets etc and researching best areas to live etc so im kept pretty busy :eek:

The hardest thing is saving up like mad and getting a job offer for OH (Plumber) so far we've had no luck.

Plus the time seams to be flying by :huh: which is both scary and exciting

Mandi x

Archived