IELTS Question (not sure if partner would pass?)

Guest Tinkerbell34

Guest Tinkerbell34

My partner is a plasterer who left school in 2nd year (2nd year of secondary school). He was a messer and got himself expelled:tongue: Like alot of people, we would have preferred to be applying for the PR visa before July but have no choice now (apart from sponsorship). He is reluctant to look for sponsorship in case he's unhappy in the job etc....

I would class him as having a high level of intelligence, he is still running his own plastering company during this recession. He has a great memory, is a great storyteller and he would have done great had he finished school... but he can't spell for **** :err: And he is Irish, so is speaking English his whole life.

So my questions are as follow...

* Would he have a hope of passing the IELTS test and getting an 8 band across the board (with questionable spelling skills!).

Stupid question??!! I know you don't know his ability from Adam, but maybe someone has been in the same boat and passed?

* & can anyone recommend a good place to start in getting started?

Many thanks for your replies guys :wink:

Guest NeilEB

Hmm let's break it down like this.

Speaking shouldn't be an issue.

The rest however, all depend on spelling, so if it's really bad he needs to work on it now.

As for gettign started, personally I would get a couple of books - there's one from Amazon and one from IELTS themselves.

There's also lots of free stuff on the internet, but personally I like the books. They come with a DVD so you can practice the Listening exams, and also watch the Speaking exams.

Writing is the hardest to practice, and also hardest to get a good mark in, but it's definitely possible.

Practice as much as he can and hoefully he'll do fine. The good news is he can retake as much as he needs.

Also remember that IELTS is designed for foreign speakers, so he has a head start on most :-)

Guest Tinkerbell34

Thanks for your reply Neil, that is a great help. I will let himself know. If the written was txt speak he'd fly away with it ha!!

With practise he should be fine, i can't spell but OH gave me spelling tests constantly and the guys at work, friends on Facebook corrected my sentence construction and I practised like mad for the reading and listening tests, just one slight problem on my part the writing I know how to construct and write essays after doing a teaching course not so long back, but actually practising writing!!! Well I am a hairdresser and only make appointments and fill in record cards which is always carried out in block capitals any other writing is on the computer or phone, I started writing and panicked when I realised I was doing it in capitals so I spent most of my time concentrating how i was writing rather than the content,

Needless to say I only achieved a 6 in writing :( I need 7's managed a 8 listening, reading 7 and talking 9. At least I know where I went wrong and can now put it right. I have rebooked and I am taking the test in 2 weeks :)

As well as books and online tests you can also get some great apps a lot are free too.

Good luck and let us know how your OH gets on.

Helene :)

---

-

Archived