Moving to Darwin

Guest Jayne63

Guest Jayne63

Hubby and me are moving out to Darwin October - November this year, 2011. Apart from the heat which i appreciate sounds unbearable and i am dreading. Please can someone tell me truthfully if it is a vibrant and exciting up and coming city as described on the various tourist sites I have come across. I am slightly overweight so desperate to get trim to cope with the heat, hubby loves sport and motorbiking is an ex rugby player and I love art and the theatre. Have i made the biggest mistake of my life by taking a position in Darwin or do others feel it will be the most exciting and challenging time of our lives. Basically as you can see I am scared senseless.... need reassurance please.....:twitcy:

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum, I love Darwin, I am sure Janine will be along soon to answer your questions. I could def live there

Guest siamsusie

Janine one of our regulars will be on in the next day or so.

She moved from NSW with her husband who is stationed in Darwin. Initially she did find it hard, acclimatisng is always hard initially but she is loving the place now.

It is cyclonic but it is a stunning place to live. To be frank I would prefer to live in Darwin then any skyscraper city.

Susie xx

To be honest you are not moving at the best time of the year.Oct,Nov is the " build up " hot and steamy !!!!!!!.Nov---May is the wet season.Most places are closed through the wet season ie;the swimming holes and springs,the Sunset Markets all finish at the end of Sept.

Now for the GOOD news............

The wet season is dramatic,everywhere is lush and green and vibrant.It does not rain every day and you still get blue skies ( high humidity )

Rugby season ends in 2 wks but there are loads of other sports to explore,shooting,archery,golf etc.

We have quite a few galleries and the theatre does have some good stuff going on.

Darwin is vibrant and upcoming but it may take you a while to find out where all the fun stuff is happening.Buy the local paper,check out the notice boards in the library and pop into the tourist information centre in the CBD.

Guest Jayne63

Thank you all... just wishing I could transport myself and experience all before we move. I am sure it will all be okay, hubby so excited and I am regarding it as a challenge... thank you all I will keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

I am also moving over to Darwin - flight booked for 11th Oct! Me, my husband and son are all looking ofrward to living there and have been over in both seasons (visiting family). Unfortunately Darwin isnt promoted as much as the rest of Oz but I can assure you its lovely and after acclimatising im sure you will love it.

Archived