IELTS Test coming up

loveshellybeach

Guest JonnyNI

If you have time left get the practice papers sent out and try to complete them in exam conditions.

My girlfriend is doing it next Thursday and she is starting to panic a bit but she has got A LOT better since sitting down and going through the practice exams. To be honest I think that it is perfectly achievable if you are fluent in English and reasonably intelligent.

Guest nikkimoore
you need to practice quite a bit i got 3 7s and a 8.5 in speaking but didnt practice much as i didnt need it in the end,but it is not easy.:frown:

Sorry to jump on this post, was just wonder why you didn't need your IELTS in the end, I thought everyone needed it if going on a 175 or 176 visa??

Sorry to jump on this post, was just wonder why you didn't need your IELTS in the end, I thought everyone needed it if going on a 175 or 176 visa??

As citizen from either, UK, Canada, US, Ireland or New Zealand (English Speaking countries) you can be automatically allocated a score of 6 across the board - although this does not gain any points towards your visa. A citizen from any other country has to sit the test to prove their competence in the English language.

Maybe they accumulated enough points without having to sit the test in the other catergories; experience, skills etc... Why sit it if you don't need to? :biggrin:

you need to practice quite a bit i got 3 7s and a 8.5 in speaking but didnt practice much as i didnt need it in the end,but it is not easy.:frown:

I have sat the IELTs twice now, first time i got 7.5, 6.5, 8 and 9 Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking). i resat because i needed 7s in all areas for SS. With the VISA changes and me turning 40 i had to get 8s in all areas...to boost my points. My new result was 9, 9, 7.5 and 9...gutted because after appealing and taking it to the regulating body about how unfair the process is (having to resit ALL when you only need one component) i have to sit it again! the whole thing! and after falling down on the Reading (6.5) up to now i have spent £405...i agree it is not that easy...my advice would be to not take it for granted because you are English you will walk it! You really have to concentrate, it is a long day!

Good luck any way

we thought we would be lodging our visa 176 after 1st of july which you need to do it know for but we lodged 17th june so i didnt need to take it but it was booked and paid for so went and sat it anyway

Hi,

I sat IELTS a few months ago in anticipation of applying after 1st July. I am british but always considered English my weak subject at school (i only achieved a C at GCSE). I practiced every day in the week before the test, using practise papers and practise tests online (i'll dig these up links for these if you like). I scored 9 reading, 8.5 listening (a lapse in concentration), 9 speaking and 7.5 writing. i was gutted at the time because i wanted 8's in all 4 but in the end it did not matter because we got our visa application in on the 30th June under the old points system.

I would say practice with the test papers in reading/writing definately help you acheive 8+. there's not much you can do for the speaking other than familiarise yourself with the process and practice preparing to talk about a random subject for 1-2 minutes. i was asked to talk about a person who has been in the news and i panicked and ended up talking about Lord Alan Sugar for 2 minutes !

I found practice for the writing difficult to judge as it is hard to say what quantifies an 8 or higher in this. Obviously no spelling mistakes and good punctuation is key but just practice, practice, practice your writing and i'm sure you will be fine.:biggrin:

Guest stormgal
Hi,

I sat IELTS a few months ago in anticipation of applying after 1st July. I am british but always considered English my weak subject at school (i only achieved a C at GCSE). I practiced every day in the week before the test, using practise papers and practise tests online (i'll dig these up links for these if you like). I scored 9 reading, 8.5 listening (a lapse in concentration), 9 speaking and 7.5 writing. i was gutted at the time because i wanted 8's in all 4 but in the end it did not matter because we got our visa application in on the 30th June under the old points system.

I would say practice with the test papers in reading/writing definately help you acheive 8+. there's not much you can do for the speaking other than familiarise yourself with the process and practice preparing to talk about a random subject for 1-2 minutes. i was asked to talk about a person who has been in the news and i panicked and ended up talking about Lord Alan Sugar for 2 minutes !

I found practice for the writing difficult to judge as it is hard to say what quantifies an 8 or higher in this. Obviously no spelling mistakes and good punctuation is key but just practice, practice, practice your writing and i'm sure you will be fine.:biggrin:

Wow, what I would do to score a 9 on the reading! Well, I've ordered the book MrTux suggested. Hopefully, it will help me as much as it did him :unsure:

Archived