Failed balance of family test?

Gwnkta

Help and advice please! My parents desparately want to come live in Australia...I have lived here for 5 years and married to Australian...I have permanent residency. the issue is I am my mum's only child BUT my dad has three other children from a pervious marriage who he rarely has contact with... ( all grown up with families and moved on)

They are aged 73 yrs and 63 years....is there any advice on how if possible can they come to Australia?? ( as they seem to fail balance of family test) thank you in advance!! :err:??

Hi

Unfortunately DIAC do take into account stepchildren of the parents, so yes if they have more children and stepchildren outside Australia than living in Australia I am afraid that they do not pass the Balance of Family test. It is very harsh, I know, and has been discussed on here many times. It does seem really unfair, especially if he never sees them.

Have a look at page 24 of the Parent Booklet (3) which explains it all.

Thank you!

It's gutting how other half siblings not really ' on the scene' can affect their dad being able to live where he wants to go...i have read many other entires on here over last 2 days and see many other families in the same situation.....wish it could change!! I I were to write a letter to sometone in a position of immigration authority i.e minister...who would i write to...anyone know?

So i guess its tourist visas for now.....does anyone know about how often 12 month visas in a row can be granted? do folks have to head back to uk for application or can they travel to another country e.g. NZ to apply ?

thanks again germaine

I think there is a contributory retirement visa that lasts four years, but seem to recall you need bucketloads of money for that.

Otherwise I have heard of several people who do 6months here, 6months there on tourist visas, so it must be possible. The main thing that immigration is worried about is people overstaying.

Archived