Omg!!!! How poor the humble £ is right now against the aus $

Mummy Mann

Was just having a nosey to see if I could afford my dream home in oz (i wish) and was gobsmacked to find the following.

12 months ago for £125,000 I would have had $218,750

1.75 dollars to the pound

Now for £125,000 I would get...... $186.251 :0(

1.49 dollars to the pound

that's nothing, it use to be 2.5$/GBP. When I went to Perth in May 2009 it was down to 2 and I was shocked, by the time we were coming to Oz, it dropped to 1.7. Although we only transferred the minimum amount we needed to set up for a few months (about 20k gbp), we still lost the price of a new car from when the exchange rate was good.

I remember when we first applied for a state sponsored visa (electronics engineering) a few years ago. We were going to sell up in the UK and buy outright in Oz. The state (Vic) rejected the application saying I was unemployable, so we went for a skilled independent visa. Ironically, I got a job within 3 weeks of coming here, but by the time we got the visa, house prices had virtually doubled and the exchange rate nearly halved, so now we can only rent.

When we first looked at moving to oz 8 years ago we could of bought a lovely 4 bedroom house in oz for £57,000.

When the time comes I think we will transfer the bare minimum over, rent in oz and then when hopefully the £ improved sell our house here.

Archived