DIY removal ?

Guest Beki

Guest Beki

Has anybody tried to move themselves ?We are so skint I need to save some kind of money for MY NEW LIFE!!! Rich. :x

Guest scott&lisa

Hi Guys,

We are in the process now of completing the sale of our house before moving out to Melbourne. We've recently had various international removals companies in to quote for shipping etc. One of the company's (Crown Relocations) did point out that due to Australian customs regulations packing has got to be done by such companies. A way of Australia trying to prevent illegal imports I guess and who can blame them.

If you are planning on taking a small amount then costs of shipping can be kept low by sharing a shipping container. This is what we've decided on as we're taking everything except the furniture.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with the move!!

Scott.

Guest scott&lisa

Hi Dazz,

You are right on that point mate, many shipping companies do offer a "self pack" option. I think the one we have chosen to go with don't give that option though for the reasons you have stated (unless they are trying to get more money out of us!!).

It might be a good idea though if anyone does decide to self pack to check out the best packing materials to use as I think customs can sometimes be a bit funny on the packing material itself as well as what is inside!!

Cheers, Scott.

Guest Beki

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll show Rich and see what he says. He has done removal work before so would have a rough idea of how to go about it.

Also we live near Heathrow so he has connections with people who work for big freight companies so we may be able to save a few pennies, we'll see, it'll be a while yet...

Cheers, Beki :D

From reading certain removal companys websites ,i think the self packing is an option you are given BUT they say customs are more likely to unpack your things and check everything off the list you have to provide,hence,, not necessarily being packed back properly for the last leg of the journey,i think mostly it is down to cash flow and personal prefernce ,,,hope this helps

Cal x

• 7 months later...
Guest mr mover
From reading certain removal companys websites ,i think the self packing is an option you are given BUT they say customs are more likely to unpack your things and check everything off the list you have to provide,hence,, not necessarily being packed back properly for the last leg of the journey,i think mostly it is down to cash flow and personal prefernce ,,,hope this helps

Cal x

Correct self pack shipments come in for greater scrutiny, than shipper packs.

AQIS currently charge $150 an hour,for inspection this cost is passed on to the client :roll: ,so the quicker your shipment is processed the more you save...................... :wink: mm

Archived