good move or bad move???

ftmummy

Hi all am new to this site so please bare with me,so I have been contemplating the massive move to Oz but now my hubby is coming round to the idea i am becoming really confused as to whether its the right move or not, it is such a big move and decision to make I just dont know what what to do, plus after looking at the migration websites it looks really hard and confusing :wideeyed: and expensive!!! can anyone help that may have made the move recently or is in process of doing so just some advise or info would be great. Am thinking the move will be beneficial to myself my husband and my 3 yr old boy, give us more of an outdoor lifestlye and more chances in life but cant decide for definate at the moment all a little scary :wacko:

Hey! Welcome to PIO we're also in the same position as you, started properly thinking of moving about 6months ago but its always been in my head, ive always wanted to go on at least a working holiday visa.

Your best bet is to check that your job can get you into oz, then do your research about which state you want to live in, cost of living etc.

I think it would definitely give you more outdoor time, The Uk's weather always seems to be miserable lol although scotland has a mini heatwave at the moment.. yay!

Just do your research and save up, im sure you'll come to a decision xx

Thanks for reply, there is so much to look at dont know where to start lol, unfortunately we not in a position to travel over for holiday or temp to see what we think which is why its hard making the decision, what website have u been using for jobs etc?

us either, its either move over next year for good or go over for a holiday and have to wait at least another year to be able to afford to move over. its a big risk but i think its worth it. what are your jobs? if you want to check if your jobs on the list then type in australia SOL 2011 or something like that but im sure someone will come along soon and send you a link. Websites like seek.com are really good to see where your kind of jobs are. the other option is to see if you are eligible for a visa where a employer can sponsor you. someone will be along to explain it better to you cos im not that clued up about it myself lol still trying to find us a way in!

all the best luck xx

ok cool will have a look, it is all very daunting hope u get sorted and over there, my hubby is in engineering and his company are worldwide so am hoping they will sponsor him, and I myself am in childcare at supervisory level, so i think we will get jobs just trying to get it all sorted really. Am sure I will work it all out eventually lol when I get organised:biggrin:well thanks for your help keep me posted on your progress be nice to keep in touch and coompare probs etc x

Australia will want to snap up your husband and you should have no problem getting a job either! you should really research the sponsored visa cos ive saw a lot of engineer jobs and some of them will pay for you to relocate. wish we had that sort of opportunity. just keep a look out for jobs and grab any opportunity you get with both hands!! xx

Guest AberdeenAngus
.... although scotland has a mini heatwave at the moment.. yay!

Speak for yourself. It's baltic in Aberdeen.

Nope you only need one person to have a job to go on the skilled migration visa, thats a shame cos u just missed the leeds and london expo and they were hiring engineers there, just keep a look out for other expos. theres also a website called skilledmigrantjobs.com , they should have some jobs on there, the employers sponsor you on that. theres also a website called sponsoredjobs, you have to pay a subscription but theres always loads of jobs on it so might help a bit xx

lol nope i definitely dont know much, i spent weeks thinking my bf couldnt easily get into oz as id heard they were desperate for excavator operators. but turns out its not easy, they cant be sponsored by the 457 visa and have to go through a different route, i keep forgetting the name of the visa. its some sort of labour agreement that companies have to get. its all sooo confusing.

it should be much easier for you guys to go. is your little boy excited? x

oh no that sounds like a headache!! hope u get it sorted what do you do for work? havent said nothing to my boy (or anyone else lol) he only 3 so wouldnt understand anyway sure he would be ok with it all if we do it though he quite easy going. So are you all definate and up for it then?

im only 21 and if im completely honest ive wasted a lot of my life doing absolutely nothing! ive got a svq 2 in animal care and worked in a vets for a while. im hoping to train as a vet nurse when i get over to oz, otherwise ill have to stay here and do it which will take 2 years. I really need to get a grip and get a job that i enjoy and that has some prospects! daves a excavator operator, makes quite a good wage over here but it all seems to go on council tax, national insurance/other tax and the rent! its really hard to get a mortgage in scotland at the moment even if you have some savings so we've been stuck private renting for years. decided we're moving out and going to stay with parents. its a bit embarassing for us but its the only way we're going to save enough for australia, people can laugh but we'll be the ones in a lovely country with lots of sunshine lol :biglaugh:

Daves definitely up for it, he has no doubts at all. I keep getting doubts every couple of weeks but then think of all the positives, they definitely outweigh the negatives of the uk

your wee boy will love oz when he grows up!

Training as a vet nurse is cool and if it takes few yrs to to get over there u may aswell train why you wait , if it works like that?? lol and u deffo right having a good wage means nothing over here coz u dont get to enjoy/spend it like u say! and there nothing wrong with living with parents especially if it helps to achieve a dream of emmegrating i would do that if i could but not in that position, if we do decide we gonna do that we might down size to a flat or rent to try and reduce costings not sure yet we useless at saving thats our problem and we got a lot of finance/loans to get paid off so cant settle them and save at same time so dont think we going anywhere for a bit lol there does seem to be more positives than negatives as you say, have you been over there before?

Nope ive never been to oz before, thats why its such a big risk for us. but if it doesnt work out we can always move back, we arent losing anything here really except obviously family. dave works so hard, 65 hours a week usually and then he can never enjoy his time off because all the money seems to disapear or the weathers crap lol! theres no jobs here for me, we've thought about moving to a different part of the UK but im just not content here. i've always wanted to move abroad but i want it to be with dave,not just myself. Thats exactly like us too lol, rubbish at saving and daves got one of those trust deeds to pay off but its only got 2 months left, thats us paid over 3 years of debt, we said ages ago we were going to treat ourselfs to a big holiday when we finished it but looks like we might aswell just move! :jiggy:

everytime i spend my money on rubbish i just have to think of having a lovely bbq in oz! my dream is to eventually buy a house beside a national park with lots of wildlife and parrots in my garden!

ooooh that sounds like a cool dream :D i just wanna enjoy my life and have something to look back on coz at the moment i feel like a robot i get up, ready, go to work, come home and clean cook wash etc then go to bed then get up, go to work .........and so on havent done anything to shout out about and i think its just a waste we work hard and should be able to enjoy the money the earn for doing it so i am almost certain its a must to go over there just gotta get our asses into gear and get paying things off really lol. and i agree if u gonna go there on holiday u may aswell just stay there lol :D well it has been lovely chatting with you (stacey is it?) nice to know i not the only one in confusion lol please keep in contact and let me know how u geting on we can share success or stress with each other lol (if u want to that is lol)

no not really looked into it much yet i have extended family in perth and sydney, but thinking possibly melbourne or adelaid from what i have researched today! but will have to see where phil's branch is based will have to live near the job x

Guest MontyClaude

Hi ftmummy, like ScottishStacey says if your OH is an engineer you are laughing!!

They are crying out for them at the moment, especially in QLD and WA. Friends of ours have just moved to QLD. He's an engineer and his wife stays at home with the kids, the whole family are on his visa and they paid for all their flights, relocation etc.

Have a look at www.immi.gov.au it will tell you all you need to know about visas. You're quickest and cheapest option is probably sponsorship but if you decide to got for 175 or 176 you would have PR.

I'm sure there will be someone with an engineering background along soon and they could give you more advice, but if you need anything in the meantime just shout :)

Guest MontyClaude
im only 21 and if im completely honest ive wasted a lot of my life doing absolutely nothing! ive got a svq 2 in animal care and worked in a vets for a while. im hoping to train as a vet nurse when i get over to oz, otherwise ill have to stay here and do it which will take 2 years. I really need to get a grip and get a job that i enjoy and that has some prospects! daves a excavator operator, makes quite a good wage over here but it all seems to go on council tax, national insurance/other tax and the rent! its really hard to get a mortgage in scotland at the moment even if you have some savings so we've been stuck private renting for years. decided we're moving out and going to stay with parents. its a bit embarassing for us but its the only way we're going to save enough for australia, people can laugh but we'll be the ones in a lovely country with lots of sunshine lol :biglaugh:

Daves definitely up for it, he has no doubts at all. I keep getting doubts every couple of weeks but then think of all the positives, they definitely outweigh the negatives of the uk

your wee boy will love oz when he grows up!

Between us we'll have our own little animal farm over there! I'm exactly like you, I would love a house in a national park and to be surrounded by animals all day but as I said in another post my serial killer cat may have other plans! I've told my OH he better sell loads in Oz cos I intend to give up work and have horses, cows, goats, sheep, chickens........

Archived