Anyone flown Etihad?

Guest Sheerluck

Guest johnnybgood

My wife and I flew with Etihad on our honeymoon recently to Thailand from Ireland. The flights were great. However, the test of any airline is how they deal with problems. We got caught up in the plane crash in Ko Samui and got badly delayed, missed all our connecting flights.

They were supposed to booked us on the same flights back which meant a 2 hour stop over in Abu Dhabi. They lied to us and we ended up with a 9 hour stop over which arrived in at midnight. They refused to accommodate us in one of their lounges and we had to sleep on the floor of the transit area with no blanks, and in the freezing cold because of the air conditioning.

We will never again fly with them!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie

It's a shame that you had a bad experience with Etihad,I would suggest you contact their customer feedback team at guest@etihadguest.com and let them know about your displeasure.

I should add that you can't really blame them for missing connecting flights if the delay is caused by something over which they have no control.

Also did you book the tickets through an agent or directly with the airline?If you book through an agent you always have a person to deal with ,if you book directly with an airline you don't have that protection,what do you mean by "they were supposed to have booked you on the same flights back?

do you mean the return leg of your outbound flight? If so what happened? did they cancel the flight then transfer you to a later one without telling you?

I only ask these questions because I have been in the travel industry for a long time and if you are so disatissfied with an airline that you are not going to fly with them again it would be good to have the facts clearly explained so that you can then present your case to the airline for compensation.

If you can explain what happened clearly send me a PM by clicking on my username and I would be happy to pass your comments on to my contact at Etihad and see if I can get some compensation for you.

Cheers

N'OZ

Guest johnnybgood
It's a shame that you had a bad experience with Etihad,I would suggest you contact their customer feedback team at guest@etihadguest.com and let them know about your displeasure.

I should add that you can't really blame them for missing connecting flights if the delay is caused by something over which they have no control.

Also did you book the tickets through an agent or directly with the airline?If you book through an agent you always have a person to deal with ,if you book directly with an airline you don't have that protection,what do you mean by "they were supposed to have booked you on the same flights back?

do you mean the return leg of your outbound flight? If so what happened? did they cancel the flight then transfer you to a later one without telling you?

I only ask these questions because I have been in the travel industry for a long time and if you are so disatissfied with an airline that you are not going to fly with them again it would be good to have the facts clearly explained so that you can then present your case to the airline for compensation.

If you can explain what happened clearly send me a PM by clicking on my username and I would be happy to pass your comments on to my contact at Etihad and see if I can get some compensation for you.

Cheers

N'OZ

We're not blaming them for the connecting flights at all. Our flights home were not available the day after our delay so we had to spend 2 nights in Bangkok. They told us that they would book us on the same flight times as we were originally booked on. However when we arrived at the airport in Bangkok we were told that they were not the same. The staff were extremely rude and unhelpful.

We called our agent who spoke to someone in Etihad and arranged for their ground staff to meet us off the plane in AD. When we got there no one was there to meet us and no one knew anything about us.

They refused to give us access to any of their lounges which given our situation i.e. facing a 9 hour wait at midnight in the transit area, it was the least they could have done for us.

We endured an terrible night sleeping on a hard floor without even a blanket.

They simply did not care.

I appreciate the offer of help but we have now managed to almost forget the ordeal. They wouldnt help us when we were there infront of them so why would they now? Our response is obviously (although not maliciously) tell all of what happened which doesnt promote/sell Etihad, and of course not to use their services again.

My opinion of airlines is that it doesnt matter how good the flights are e.g. service, comfort etc, it really comes down to how they deal with you as an individual/couple/group when there is a problem. This is the real test of the quality of an airline!

Guest proud2beaussie

Did you ask the Etihad staff at BNK why you had been bumped off the earlier flights after the delay?What reason did they give you for offloading you and transferring you to a later flight?.

Also when the Etihad CSM didn't appear at Abu Dhabi did they have a reason why?It all sounds like a total stuff up on their behalf and not something that I have ever experienced in numerous flights with Etihad.

I strongly advise you to put your complaint in writing to their head office,setting out clearly what you have posted here and I am sure you will get some compensation .

I might add that it does sound to me like your agent didn't try very hard to get you on the flights you wanted-I would never allow a client of mine to be booked on a flight arriving in Abu Dhabi at midnight without ensuring that the airline had arranged hotel rooms first !

Guest johnnybgood
Did you ask the Etihad staff at BNK why you had been bumped off the earlier flights after the delay?What reason did they give you for offloading you and transferring you to a later flight?.

Also when the Etihad CSM didn't appear at Abu Dhabi did they have a reason why?It all sounds like a total stuff up on their behalf and not something that I have ever experienced in numerous flights with Etihad.

I strongly advise you to put your complaint in writing to their head office,setting out clearly what you have posted here and I am sure you will get some compensation .

I might add that it does sound to me like your agent didn't try very hard to get you on the flights you wanted-I would never allow a client of mine to be booked on a flight arriving in Abu Dhabi at midnight without ensuring that the airline had arranged hotel rooms first !

I'll give it a try and let you know.

Cheers

Guest Samfire

Hi there - we flew Etihad from Dublin (Ireland) to Sydney with a 3hr stop in Abu Dhabi last week. We found the flight very long (not Etihad's fault), but the in-flight entertainment was excellent!!!!! We travelled economy which we would NEVER do again!!! We found the seats very uncomfortable and very cramped for leg room. A tall guy four rows back had to stretch his legs out on the isle to get comfortable!!! We got no sleep at all. Food was good and the service for the most part was too. We did find however, that towards the end of the flight, a lot of the air stewards went on "breaks" - at least that's what we were told - and it became increasingly difficult to get anybody to answer the service call. All-in-all, for what we paid for our flights, we would have to say that the service at least was professional. I'm sure there are bigger, more comfortable planes servicing this route though, so do check out all airlines before booking flights!!!

Hope this post helps!!

Guest scouse Alan

We have flown with Etihad a couple of times Brisbane to Manchester and always found them to be excellent,lovely staff, good in-flight entertainment, good competitive price. I'd recommend Etihad. Alan

yeah we flew Etihad home in Aug. I was sceptical, but they're fine.

Friendly staff, the plane was imaculately clean. Even the toilets, they were cleaned every couple of hours always smelt nice.

Food was a little boring, a lot of egg dishes if i remember correctly, but saying that we didn't go hungry.

Abu Dhabi, there's a funny one. We landed at 1 in the morning or something, it was 38 degrees outside. Inside however it was like they were showing off just how much money they had by having the aircon blisteringly cold. Honestly, everyone was shivering in there. When you land you go through the crummy bit and into a round area with a big mosaic roof. Yeah this is naff, but if you go through to your gate you get to another area, all the flash duty free shops, couple of nice-ish food places.

Nothing there for kids though.

• 9 months later...
Guest BrisbaneBound

Hi there

I have flown Etihad before and found them on par with Emirates. They are the Abu Dhabi based airline, as opposed to Emirates based in Dubai. :-)

Archived