Can you pack your belongings yourself?

Dobbsy

Hi, We have sold our house... but plan to live with family for a few months before moving, but although we have passed our meds etc, we haven't actually got our visa yet (any day). Therefore we are packing boxes ourselves at the moment and was going to store our stuff at a friends etc. So do I get quotes now whilst my house is still in tact... or do I get quotes once its all boxed up? Also, may treat ourselves to a few new bits of furniture to take with us? can you take brand new stuff? thanks

Guest Guest31881

As far as i know there is nothing stopping you packing yourself, but check out the insurance in case it does not pay out if you packed.

As for bringing brand new items, you are supposed to have owned everything you bring for a minimum of 12 months before shipping it. Most people who buy new stuff, make sure it is out of the wrapping/box and pack as if it is older stuff. I have never heard of anyone having to pay duty on bringing items through with their initial shipment, but it is something that you have to think about.

As far as i know there is nothing stopping you packing yourself, but check out the insurance in case it does not pay out if you packed.

As for bringing brand new items, you are supposed to have owned everything you bring for a minimum of 12 months before shipping it. Most people who buy new stuff, make sure it is out of the wrapping/box and pack as if it is older stuff. I have never heard of anyone having to pay duty on bringing items through with their initial shipment, but it is something that you have to think about.

Thank you

:notworthy:

Archived