IELTS - General or Academic?

jakc

Currently in Melbourne on a 457

Want to get my 175 lodged before Christmas for me and my partner.

Need to book in my IELTS test.

There seems to be 2 choices, General and Academic.

Which one do I sit?

The other question I wanted confirmation on.

- My partner (also from UK, will be a De Facto on with the 175) does not need to sit an IELTS exam, right?

Thanks in advance.

With the IELTS it depends on which job you are doing a couple of jobs need the academic test (sorry can't remember which ones now). If it's just to apply for the visa though then the general one is all you need to do.

As far as I'm aware provided they are hold one of the relevant passports (UK obviously being one them) then they will not be required to take the IELTS exam.

HTH

As far as I'm aware provided they are hold one of the relevant passports (UK obviously being one them) then they will not be required to take the IELTS exam.

HTH

Thanks

I am from the UK with a UK passport, but fall just short of the the new points test for 175

Getting some good scores on IELTS test should boost me past the 65pts mark.

My job is a cartographer which is on the SOL.

Can anyone confirm if it is the General exam I should be booking?

Just filling in the IELTS app forms now for General tests.

There is a section on 'Applications to Recognising Organisations' where i can ask my test results be sent to government agencies, etc

I assume for a 175, I just get the restuls myself and paperclip them to my application when I lodge it later in the year?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-english.htm

You must provide one of the following:

IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least seven on each of the four components – speaking, reading, listening and writing

or

evidence that you undertook a language test and attained a score as specified by the Minister.

http://www.nmit.edu.au/pdf/ielts/nmit_ielts_info.pdf

Its important u keep your results safe as replacement test report forms cannot be issued. Test centers will send copies of the test report form to 5 recognizing organisations free of charge.

So, still bit confused. Do I need to send results to IMMI?

I will likely not be lodging my applciation for another couple of months after taking the test.

Archived