Suburbs in Sydney

AaronS

Looking for input on which suburbs to look at in Sydney for a rental house in the range of 600 to 700 a week and reasonably close to the Frenchs Forest area. Needs to be near a good primary school. Fairly close to the beach would be cool but not a deal breaker. Looking for family friendly as well....I've got 3 heathen between ages 3 and 9. Thanks in advance for any help!

Guest siamsusie

Hi Aaron,

I am moving this to the NSW thread in the hope of some replies for you.

Best wishes

Susie

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron

check out Avalon, we moved there 4.5years ago and can defo say we landed on our feet. they call it the insula peninsula (you are away from a lot of the hub hub), although I work in the city and tend to bus in which can be a drag (done it for 4.5 years now) in the end of the day its where the kids are growing up which is important. Avalon has a 'village' feel to it and you quickly get to know a lot of people. we have four kids (youngest has just moved into high school this year!) and they all made loads of friends easy enough. there are a lot of expats around there as well. if your looking for family, security, and that hole community spirit I would defo recommend it

we are paying rent at the top end of what you said but there is plenty around for less (and even more around for a few dollars more)

for the mums and dads there are plenty of restaurants but the place does lack a proper pub (but then so do a lot of places here) they have the RSL (like the british legion) which is popular for friday and sat nights but defo not a pub, or you can always get down to the Bowlo (lawn green bowling club - and no its not just for oldies) the set we hang out with all range from early 30's to early 40's

if you need any more info let me know

cheers

Owls

I like Avalon myself - it has got that small town atmosphere and, dare I say even a bit trendy? Neutral Bay with a beach? It is a long commute to the city mind. Perhaps Narrabeen area or Curl Curl or Freshwater? Beverley HIlls is nice enough but a long way from both beach and French's Forest.

I've just been through the process of finding somewhere north of Sydney. My budget, from looking at the usual websites from offshore, was 500$, but when I landed and started looking the budget went to 750$ the first day. And to be honest if I wanted something approaching a modern living standard I'd have had to go to maybe 900$.

I ended up focusing around hornsby and have finally taken a house in mt colah which isn't a million miles from frenches forest. And you definitely get a lot for your cash up here.

I also found demand to be low. Almost everything I looked at was vacant, and I only went to one mass brawl viewing and walked away instantly as it was nothing special. The house I took in colah even accepted a bit of negotiation.

Archived