Heading to the NT - Are shots needed?

Guest Whoopseydaisy

Guest Whoopseydaisy

Hoping to move to Darwin within the next few months. As its a tropical area, do I need to get some shots before heading there? Am living in Ireland at the mo so dont want to catch anything nasty. I know I'll probabley be eaten alive by the mozzies but as long thats all that will happen, then I can live with that!

Guest guest37336

As far as I am aware, no shots needed. But janines point about tetanus is good advice. Any small cut or craze in the more tropical climes 'may' be more prone to becoming infected.

Cheers Tony.

Guest SweetLips

You are so lucky Darwin is beautiful we live in Port Hedland thats the Pilbara area of WA & we drove all the way to Darwin for a holiday a few months back.

Get yourself educated on the snake types & what to do if bitten, having said that you won't come across them during your day to day living in the towns but if you go trecking in the bush & wildlife reserves & parks you have a very good chance of coming across one, we took a treck in a place called Adelaide spring to Robin Falls & came across the deadliest snake in Australia just as my partner put his hand on a rock to steady himself while making our decent. Then there is the Cane Toad, a big ugly thing that excretes a toxin through their skin they are devastating to the Australian wildlife so its good to kill these buggers.

There are no required injections but it is advised to have yourself protected against the Hep C virus & the Mosquitoes also carry a river virus that can make you very ill so make sure you have plenty of protection against being bitten avoid going out at night if you do then keep covered up with loose clothing if you are at home having a BBQ use coloured bulbs for your outdoor lighting as the white attract the mozzie & midges.

Remember your sun hat & lots of high factor sun cream you can be burned very quickly over here especially the head try to bring plenty with you as it is expensive over here.

You will also find clothing over here is rubbish quality & pricey so I would advise you stock up on good T-Shirts & Shorts as you will very rarely wear trousers due to the heat & humidity, Socks & Underwear are also pricey over here also shoes/sandals/trecking boots again good quality is hard to find & expensive.

After everything I have said I think you will love it, it has so many beautiful places to visit you will find yourself constantly saying Wow!

Good luck & Enjoy!:jiggy:

Guest guest37336

A couple of others Michelle.

I don't think these inoculations are ready yet, but would come in handy.

1. The 'Anti Humidity Shot'.

To stop you going mad in the warmer months, (which by the way is Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, July, August, Sept, Oct, Nov and December,:yes::biglaugh:

2. The 'Please Don't Let Me Bump Into The Local Weirdo Shot'.

This will enable you to spot those that have gone 'Troppo' and avoid them at all costs. They can often be found in many areas of Darwin with a glazed expression making a sign of the crucifix toward the sun.

3. The 'I Will Not Think It Funny To Lean On This Crocodile Warning Sign And Be Surprised When I am Eaten Alive', shot.

It happens:mad::shocked::biglaugh:.

No but seriously Darwin is very different to many other states, and I love it, go for your life.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

You are so lucky Darwin is beautiful we live in Port Hedland thats the Pilbara area of WA & we drove all the way to Darwin for a holiday a few months back.

Get yourself educated on the snake types & what to do if bitten, having said that you won't come across them during your day to day living in the towns but if you go trecking in the bush & wildlife reserves & parks you have a very good chance of coming across one, we took a treck in a place called Adelaide spring to Robin Falls & came across the deadliest snake in Australia just as my partner put his hand on a rock to steady himself while making our decent. Then there is the Cane Toad, a big ugly thing that excretes a toxin through their skin they are devastating to the Australian wildlife so its good to kill these buggers.

There are no required injections but it is advised to have yourself protected against the Hep C virus & the Mosquitoes also carry a river virus that can make you very ill so make sure you have plenty of protection against being bitten avoid going out at night if you do then keep covered up with loose clothing if you are at home having a BBQ use coloured bulbs for your outdoor lighting as the white attract the mozzie & midges.

Remember your sun hat & lots of high factor sun cream you can be burned very quickly over here especially the head try to bring plenty with you as it is expensive over here.

You will also find clothing over here is rubbish quality & pricey so I would advise you stock up on good T-Shirts & Shorts as you will very rarely wear trousers due to the heat & humidity, Socks & Underwear are also pricey over here also shoes/sandals/trecking boots again good quality is hard to find & expensive.

After everything I have said I think you will love it, it has so many beautiful places to visit you will find yourself constantly saying Wow!

Good luck & Enjoy!:jiggy:

Just a slight correction...Adelaide River...:wink: The war graves was built there for the people who were killed in the WWII japanese air raids on The Darwin.

Robin Falls:

2010Trip139.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived