Problems getting a buy to let mortgage

paisleylass

Thanks again all, we are now decided on going late October to arrive start of November. As far as mortgage goes, if we need to rent I'll make full use of First Direct's generosity* and while that 12 months grace is running will either do the expat mortgage route or put the house back on for sale. Meantime hopefully we can chuck some $$s back at the mortgage (unlimited overpayments are allowed) 'cos I HATE paying interest!

I normally deal with First Direct over the phone, and apart from mortgage issues they have been nothing but wonderful. When I wanted to change name on my accounts due to getting married, I was advised to take the marriage certificate to HSBC for copying and certification. Dealing with HSBC face to face is another world altogether - unfriendly, patronising, treated like the muck on a pig farmer's boots. Customer service is right down the pan. Rant over.

*(there may be some sarcasm in there)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LisaW

Hi,

Just thought I'd drop my twopenny's worth in as we are in the same boat.

We are using a Reeds Rains whole of market mortgage broker to arrange a BTL mortgage. We were also turned down by Skipton and, as long term mortgage customers of the Halifax, asked about consent to lease, to which they said we'd have to go on a CTL product where the rate is 5.99%!

So, our mortgage broker has trawled the market again, and it seems The Mortgage Works and BM Solutions are offering BTL or Let To Buy (if you are letting out your main residence), for reasonable rates and apparently both lenders will consider the application based on information supplied as long as the remortgage were to complete based on your current circumstances - I take that to mean whilst you are still in the UK and employed. You are then apparently under no obligation to notify them of any change in status after this time. As long as you have a UK bank account, it seems all is well.

We are still in the process of deciding on a product, but will repost with any applicable updates.

Good luck!

Lisa.

I am also hopefully going to be in a similar position, I asked First Direct if I could let my property whilst abroad and I got a big fat NO WAY from them. Even though we only owe £6K on the mortgage, house worth about £200 - £230K.

They told me (as yourself) to go get a BTL, I just laughed at them and told them I'd pay it off then and they had just lost a good customer (been with them now for 20+years). They really don't care ...... I'm a bit peeved about this as we can't get another mortgage as at the moment for the first time ever we don't have a regular income. OH is self employed and can only get the odd day's work here and there, I was made redundant and cannot get a job. This is the first time ever we have been in this position, we have always worked, hence our decision to move to pastures new.

I'd be interested to know how you get on and if they do indeed let you rent your property out for 1 year.

We were in the same position and was advised by our letting agent not to tell - so we didn't - shhhhhh. I mean if you can't get a buy to let mortgage what are you supposed to do?

We did get landlords insurance though and so far so good.

Think that's what we will do, as long as what's left on the mortgage gets paid, they really shouldn't care. With having an offset mortgage I was going to put the incidentals on to the mortgage i.e shippping container and any visa fees we don't manage to save. Hopefully this can then be paid back quite quickly, once we get jobs in Oz and the rental comes in.

Its good to know others are doing the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived