teachers in oz

Guest cash

hi everyone im a solicitor and am moving to oz soonish on a 457 subclass visa as i have a new job out there in QLD - my fella is a trainee teacher and is currently doing his PGCE course. He plans on joining me out there next june but he is a bit worried about jobs and is status so if any1 can help it would be greatly appreciated??

he worried about not being able to get a job as he wont be able to do his QTS as he will b coming out to me after his course so wont b able to do 1 year in a uk school - he knows that when he gets back to the uk (if and when we decide to come home) he will have to go back to the start but he is only 25 so that shouldnt b a problem but does anyone know what happens when we are in oz?

any help would be fab thanks!!!!!!!!

Hi there,

I am newly arrived in Melbourne and although my situation is quite different to your fellas I thought I would offer a few words of advice.

I have been a teacher for 8 years now and so was lucky enough to come here on a skilled 136 visa. I registered as a teacher with the state of Victoria before arrival and found that whenever I contacted them with queries, they were really quick to respond and very helpful. They even pre-read my reference to check it met their criteria.

Teachers have to be registered with the state they live in and I don't know anything about queensland but reckon searching this site Queensland College of Teachers should provide you with a few answers or at least someone you can contact for help.

Hope this helps a little,

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest leedschick

I'm a primary school teacher and have just (yesterday!!!) passed the teaching skills assessment. if he is applying in his own right, i think he needs the equivalent of a 4 year degree . I did 3 year BA plus PGCE. You also have to have the work experience which is 12 out of last 24months and 3 out of last 4 years.

By passing, they are basically saying my qualifications are as good as/equivalent to an Australian teacher.

If he is hoing as your partner, he wouldn't have to pass this but if he doesn't have his QTS he might not be seen as equivalent to an oz teacher and could be hard if he tried to get a job.

I would definitly contact the dept of education for the state your heading for, as someone else has suggested.

Good luck!

Guest Libby1971

Hi

One thing to bear in mind is where you are going in Australia.

We came to Adelaide becasue we were told that is a big demand for teachers here but work is not as easy to come by as we were led to believe.

Also bear in mind the implications for his teaching if he comes back to England. I have been teaching for 5 years and when I left Uni there was a timeframe within which you had to complete your NQT year or there was a problem with being a teacher. He should check this with his university.

Bear in mind also that Australians here calculate your wages on the experience you have. He won't have any and it will be much harder for him to get a job without any evidence of experience teaching as a qualified teacher.

Good luck though

Libby1971

I'm a primary school teacher and have just (yesterday!!!) passed the teaching skills assessment. if he is applying in his own right, i think he needs the equivalent of a 4 year degree . I did 3 year BA plus PGCE. You also have to have the work experience which is 12 out of last 24months and 3 out of last 4 years.

By passing, they are basically saying my qualifications are as good as/equivalent to an Australian teacher.

If he is hoing as your partner, he wouldn't have to pass this but if he doesn't have his QTS he might not be seen as equivalent to an oz teacher and could be hard if he tried to get a job.

I would definitly contact the dept of education for the state your heading for, as someone else has suggested.

Good luck!

Please be aware that just because you have passed that assessment it doesn't mean that you have the qualifications necessary to teach in Australia. You must contact the Education Department in the State you wish to reside, they will tell you if your qualifictions are acceptable. Requirements vary state to state.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kevin/jayne

Hi,

I am an electrician now working in FE as a lecturer for sparkies. I am in my second year of a Cert. Ed. course which would give me qualified teacher status over here. I have qualified for TRA as a sparkie but what to get a job at a college in Melbourne next year. Can anyone tell me what the chances are of getting a job as a lecturer in a Tafe college.

thanks.

Archived