Renting With Dogs

Guest kia1

:wubclub: HI

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW EASY IT IS TO RENT A PLACE FOR A WHILE WHEN WE HAVE DOGS 2 SIBERIAN HUSKIES WHO DO NO DAMAGE (HONESTLY)

AS MOST PLACES WE HAVE LOOKED UP IN BRISBANE DONT HAVE FENCES AND THATS ONE SLIGHT PROBLEM LOL.....

HAS ANYONE RENTED WHO HAS DOGS OR KNOWS OF SOME WHERE THAT I COULD EMAIL.

WOULD LIKE TO SORT A FEW TEETHING PROBLEMS OUT BEFORE WE GET THERE

THANKS

Hiya ,you shouldnt have a problem renting with dogs,most agents stipulate you have a pest spray when you vacate and the harshist rule ive heard is some say the animals must stay outside.Look more in the outer suburbs for larger properties as they will more likely be fenced.good luck but im sure you will be fine

Cal x

Not impossible. We had a furnished rental property for 12 weeks which allowed pets (we had a cat) we had to pay a pet bond which was returned. The stipulation was that pets would not be allowed on any of the furniture or in the carpeted areas.

Ali

When we were looking for a rental we told all agents that we had a dog (rottwieller) coming over and none of them had a problem with it. Some will say that they want the dog outside, however the house we did rent were happy for us to have her indoors. We just had to pay a pet bond which you get back.

When we were looking for a rental we told all agents that we had a dog (rottwieller) coming over and none of them had a problem with it. Some will say that they want the dog outside, however the house we did rent were happy for us to have her indoors. We just had to pay a pet bond which you get back.

Hi There: :jiggy:

Can you also explain about animal licenses, which I understand you need, esp in QSLD.

Thanks

Herbster :yes:

Every dog must be registered with the council here and a fee is payable i think its $58 for a de-sexed dog and almost double for a dog thats not been 'done'.You are also supposed to only have 2 dogs per house unless you gain a special licence,hope this helps a bit,also remember some councils are stricter than others.

Cal x

Every dog must be registered with the council here and a fee is payable i think its $58 for a de-sexed dog and almost double for a dog thats not been 'done'.You are also supposed to only have 2 dogs per house unless you gain a special license,hope this helps a bit,also remember some councils are stricter than others.

Cal x

THANK YOU CAL! :smile: I don't think everyone knows this. When I've watched tv progs regarding people moving Oz-side with a complete entourage of pets, no one's ever explained that they need to be registered $$££ in their new home town! :err:No one's ever mentioned that there are limits as to numbers of pets or type! Also, what about horses & ponies - if you had a (rural)farmette of 2 or 3 hectares, would that be enough for 1 or 2 equines?? & what about cats?? I have a friend who's brother lives in Texas, who were forever losing cats to scorpions, not very nice; so would there be a risk from nasty critters on our dearly belov'd companion animals? Actually, are there scorpions in Oz??

A curious Herbster :unsure:

Property is Zoned a & b,i dont know if it varys on areas (probably does) here you should have a minimum of 2 acers to put a horse on although many around here keep them on a less size plot,Basically your ok unless someone complains to the council and then you have to take them off.We bought 2 acers purposely cause i want another horse but due to the drought there just isnt enough grass at the mo and it would be unfair(in my eyes),so ill keep going with mi seeding and ill get there!!Its horsey heaven around here and everyone has them ,i keep searching Horse Deals and dreaming for now,lol,we are also hit with the equine flu at the mo and everyone is on lock down,no shows,races or moving of horses.

You dont see many cats as they are supposed to be kept inside on your own property,havnt seen or heard of a pet being eaten/hurt by a creepy crawlie yet but i guess it can happen.

It is illegal to keep a rabbit as a pet in Queensland and you must have a licence to keep lizards,snakes etc,,

hope this helps a bit more

Cal x

Guest carolinejane

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW EASY IT IS TO RENT A PLACE FOR A WHILE WHEN WE HAVE DOGS 2 SIBERIAN HUSKIES WHO DO NO DAMAGE (HONESTLY)

AS MOST PLACES WE HAVE LOOKED UP IN BRISBANE DONT HAVE FENCES AND THATS ONE SLIGHT PROBLEM LOL.....

THANKS

Hi there. We arrive in Australia 5 weeks ago. We are in the sunshine coast. We have 2 lab cross dogs. you can get a rental with dogs, we found a brand new home that has taken us and our two dogs, we do have to get the carpets cleaned before we leave but thats not a problem. There are just less to choose from, but they are there. Re the licensing. This was new to us until we went to sign our agreement as no one had explained this to us. But do not fret its a simple process. We went to the local council paid $45 for one dog (bitch that is de sexed) and $90 for the other (dog unsexed). They did it there and then. Once registered it means that if you have a problem dog that barks all day and night the neighbours can complain to the council and they can act on it. The license is annual and if you move the licence does not move with you, you have to pay again! Also bear in mind that you only need to register dogs with the council if your block (land on which your house is on) is less than 1000 square meters. If it is a 1000 meters or over then you do not require a licence. To be fair most of the rentals are on smaller blocks, ours is only 500, but they do exist. I also bought references from both my neighbours to state that my dogs have never been any problem/nuisance to them, this helped when presenting information to the owners. I hope this helps.

Here southside we are on acreage and you still need to register them,ours is 8000 sq mtr ,maybe it varies council to council,but anyone moving this way don't be caught out,check with your local council.

Cal x

Thanks Everyone: :notworthy:

I shall file it away in My Useful Ozzie Index... The info is for everyone else's benefit, as at present my Maine Coon catX remains in Devon, father loves him - the only thing he can get any sense from, so I couldn't move him; It's also for my future ref when we get to Tas (fingers XXX'd!)....When I eventually had my little spot of heaven in Wisconsin, I had a couple ponies, a horse, ducks, fowls, geese, couple cats & amazing dogs, breed the dreaded furry fiend (bunnies!) and of course, had a cantankerous Pygmy goat with a serious attitude problem! And even though that was a rental, & involved putting in new fences & clearing years of neglect, we could easily do that, with minimal red tape; the dogs were registered & equines needed papers & reg shots Now things have changed, different circumstances & a whole different country, but I don't want to compromise my dream, so eagerally seek information where I can! :v_SPIN:

Initially we intend renting too, while we track down our perfect spot, but within a year or so, we really want our own place! I just want to do as much research as poss to avoid any nasty surprises - which I don't like!! And also share with others who are wishing to do similar. There's some things you just take for granted & until you've lived abroad don't realize a different country can mean completely different & unfamiliar RULES & LAWS!:wideeyed:

Thanks,

Herbster

THANKS

Thanks for your post just what i was looking into:spinny: we have two sibes as well:jiggy:

gotta luv em!!

• 1 month later...
Guest property prospects

Hi

Where are you planning to live......Brisbane????

I own several rental properties and have friends who do to.............we usually charge $400 extra for the bond but obviously its given back if the place is kept well at the end of the lease.

I am on the Sunshine Coast if that is any help

Kind regards

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rachael015

THANKS

thanks!!! I've just been looking into this, i'm a bit worried about trying to find somewhere to rent with my bassett hound dog. :smile:

Archived