Alice Springs

carol1988

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has lived in or experienced Alice Springs?

I have been offered a job there and accepted it. I am awaiting my 457 visa as you will see from my previous thread.

I have done lots of research but any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks

:unsure:

Guest siamsusie

Hi Carol

I am sure someone will be along shortly to give you some good advice.

Susie x

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has lived in or experienced Alice Springs?

I have been offered a job there and accepted it. I am awaiting my 457 visa as you will see from my previous thread.

I have done lots of research but any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks

:unsure:

Hi, Although I have not experienced living or working in the Alice, I did visit it last Xmas time when on our way to Uluru. There is not a lot say except that it isn't the wild place that people say it is. There was plenty of cafe's and shopping malls. One thing that is a problem there is I'm afraid, the drink problem which is mainly within the Indigeous poulation. We saw quite a few of them lying around street corners or on grassed areas sleeping it off. There is an ongoing problem with this and the domestic violence that it brings with it.

Having said that, as a tourist we did like the place although again you need to be aware that you can only buy alcohol ar certain times of the day ( in the bottle shops). We did meet some nice people who have either moved there or have been there most of their lives and they said they loved the community spirit.

I think at first it may come as a bit of a culture shock to you but stick with it and you should be OK, don't forget it can get very hot there and the pace of life reflects that.

Good Luck with the move.

:smile:

Guest The Pom Queen

If you like big cities then it probably isn't for you, if you like rural villages then you will be fine. I agree with Sids Dad, we have only visited there, but also saw the police arresting a number of indigenous people.

Could I live there, yes I probably could but maybe only for a few years before I explored the rest of Australia.

Guest torren

Hi Carol, we live and work in Alice. We moved from Darwin which is also gorgeous. Alice is a beautiful place with lots to see and do. I like the cultural mix here and there is a lot of really interesting stuff to learn about local culture. The people are very friendly and it really isn't the terrifying place that it has been made out to be in the recent past. I have never felt threatened or intimidated walking around. Can't say I've seen lots of drunk people lying around but I know lots of people have been working hard to try to reduce the problems with alcohol in the territory. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to help but don't worry, if you've done your research then you'll be fine.

Hi, Although I have not experienced living or working in the Alice, I did visit it last Xmas time when on our way to Uluru. There is not a lot say except that it isn't the wild place that people say it is. There was plenty of cafe's and shopping malls. One thing that is a problem there is I'm afraid, the drink problem which is mainly within the Indigeous poulation. We saw quite a few of them lying around street corners or on grassed areas sleeping it off. There is an ongoing problem with this and the domestic violence that it brings with it.

Having said that, as a tourist we did like the place although again you need to be aware that you can only buy alcohol ar certain times of the day ( in the bottle shops). We did meet some nice people who have either moved there or have been there most of their lives and they said they loved the community spirit.

I think at first it may come as a bit of a culture shock to you but stick with it and you should be OK, don't forget it can get very hot there and the pace of life reflects that.

Good Luck with the move.

Thank you for your reply, this is what i have heard, we are planning to live there for 2.5 years and then move to Perth. However said that it is a new start and can only be an adventure so we will make the most of it!

:smile:

Thanks Torren! That makes me feel at more ease! We are looking forward to being there as i say its a new start and very much looking forward to it. Hopefully we will be out in September time.

There is good and bad bits in every place you live in. :laugh:

Guest torren

Hi Carol, I'm still in works accommodation but I'm told that the east side of the river todd is one of the best places to be as there is less of a mix of government with privately owned housing (no disrespect meant but just repeating what is a generally acknowledged concern here). My advice would be to take a short term self catering apartment when you first arrive until you're familiar with the town. There is lots of self catering, short term accommodation such as Alice on the Todd, and other places on Gap Road. You could google those and let me know if I can be of further help. You definitely do not want to be near a bottle shop, or on a walking route between a bottle shop and one of the town camps. Ask lots of people for advice to check out specific roads/areas and they'll be open with you (except the real estate agents, of course).

I hope this helps. Try to avoid signing up for a long term rent unless you are sure about the area because if you are arriving around September it is the end of the tourist season, and there should be less pressure on housing(despite what agents tell you). Good luck, you'll be fine, but it may be noisy around some areas at night so best to get advice before commiting in the long term.

• 2 months later...

Archived