Medicare for American?

Angelini

Hi everybody - I hope you're all going okay.

I think I might be pregnant, but I need to have a blood test done to confirm; I don't know how to go about things though. My husband and I moved from the UK 4 months ago (he's English and I'm American), and I don't know if I can register for Medicare seeing as I am American. I had an NHS card in the UK with my Indefinite Leave visa - does that mean I can be part of the reciprocal agreement Oz has with the UK? We are here on a 457 visa and we should have sorted this out sooner, but life has a way of getting in the way sometimes and other things just seem so much more important at the time ...

We do have private health cover (as is needed for the visa), but, again, I don't know how to find a GP - if it's done privately or not? Would a 'Family Planning' clinic be able to do a blood test in the meantime? Should I call the insurance people and see what they suggest? I'm actually at the point where I don't even care, I'm willing to pay whatever I need to so I know for sure, but I don't even know where I would go:wacko:

I want to be really excited, but I'm just stressed because of this and it's not helping things!!

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I have moved your post from "Chewing the fat" to "migration", hopefully you will get more replies on here.

Congratulations, maybe ;)

Sorry can't say for sure but the criteria emphasizes residency of a repicrocal country rather than citizenship so a valid uk residency visa and NHS card may be enough.

BTW, if you are eligible for reciprocal healthcare then you don't need private insurance as reciprocal is now considered to meet the requirement for health cover. Of course you still may want it anyway.

Archived