Anyone considered a cruise from UK to Oz?

Goochie

I've just had an interesting conversation with a man from a cruise line (Cunard) about taking a cruise to Fremantle (Perth) next year.

The base price for 2 adults is around £6400. However, that includes food and drink for a month, entertainment and what is basically a month long holiday.

However the most interesting part was "You can take as much baggage as you want, so long as it fits in your room"

Now, we dont have enough stuff for a container so were looking at shipping a load of stuff in boxes, for around £1200.

If you consider:

Living in the UK for a month would cost us £1000 including bills and food etc.

A nice 2 week holiday in the sun would be £700

Shipping our boxes as freight would cost £1200

Flights would be £1300 (ish)

The cruise is only £2000 more expensive than flying, plus you stuff arrives at the same time - You also dont have to put up with boredom of a long-haul flight and get a once-in-a-lifetime holiday.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Go for it, it sounds fantastic, seeing all those different places, it would be a trip of a liftime.

Guest guest37336

Hi Goochie.

Sounds like plan and a bloomin good idea, never been one for cruises, but would imagine it could be one hell of an experience,:yes:.

Just think that not many years ago the 'cruise' cost £10, :shocked:.

If you fancy an even more 'alternative way of doing it how about this link:

http://www.oz-bus.com/

One trip I would like to do, except that I may be the oldest backpacker on board,:cry:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Went and did it in 1963 for £10 from Southampton. We saw Port Said, Aden, Freo and landed at Smellbum.

In 1967 went on a cruise from Freo to Tilbury in this great lady:

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=2470

Cost...I think it was $275. We saw Singapore, Colombo, Capetown (The sewage canal had closed just as we left Colombo) and then The Canary Islands.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336

One other point 'Goochie'.

You may want to change your username/nickname before arriving in Australia mate, give you a clue why.

Graham_Gooch.JPG

Only joshing mate, but it may be met with the occasional 'comment',:yes:

PS. Looks worse IMO after the hair transplant,:shocked:

Cheers Tony.

Archived