Dual Citizenship

Guest wiggythecat

Guest wiggythecat

Hi, not been on here for a while and not even sure I am in the right section.

But here goes anyway............

Does anyone know how long you need to have lived in Austrlia before on a permenant visa before you can apply for dual citizenship?

Lisa

Guest guest36187

Depends on your arrival date. if you arrived before July 07 it is two years. If u arrived after that it is four years. Im pretty sure that's right but sure someone will correct me if not !!!!!!

Also note that if you arrived on a temporary visa before you got your PR that time does count towards your 4 years of residency. I think the last 12 months have to have been on a PR visa.

Guest Guest31881

You have to be here for 4 years, of which at least one has to be on a permanent visa,

The 2 year rule for those here before 07 expired last year and its now the same rule for everyone, but they have been here 4 years now anyway :wink:.

You dont actually apply for dual citizenship, you apply for Australian citizenship. Fortunately if you are a Pom then you can retain your original citizenship but for some countries you actually have to renounce.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do might help you work out whether you have the right residence requirements

The grandfather clause which allowed citizenship after 2 years expired last year so now it is 4 years for everyone regardless of when they arrived

Archived