Duncraig Education Support Centre?

wildbriz

Hi,

Hope someone can help, we are looking at moving to the Duncraig area.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Duncraig Education Support Centre?

I have a high functioning 14 yo ASD child, very well behaved and easy to get on with, just looking at school options for him.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, please feel free to PM me if preferred.

Thanks

Richard

Cant help with Duncraig in particular but you may well find that a high functioning child with autism will get little to no additional support in school. Most states dont allocate on diagnosis alone but on the associated lack of functioning which might impact their participation in education.

I am guessing that because you have a visa then it is quite possible that your son wont qualify for disability support (that's one of those Catch 22 things). In pretty much every state the idea is that you rock up to your local school and talk to them about what they have available and, if you have enough assessments (bring IQ, skill level, adaptive behaviour, evidence of diagnosis from an appropriate authority with associated assessment scores - should be current, any therapeutic assessments and current IEP) then they may take what you offer otherwise they may need to do their own assessments to determine whether he is a) eligible for disability support and b) how much support, if any. If a child is managing independently in mainstream then you probably wouldnt want to be putting them in an environment with kids with significant disabilities.

Cant help with Duncraig in particular but you may well find that a high functioning child with autism will get little to no additional support in school. Most states dont allocate on diagnosis alone but on the associated lack of functioning which might impact their participation in education.

I am guessing that because you have a visa then it is quite possible that your son wont qualify for disability support (that's one of those Catch 22 things). In pretty much every state the idea is that you rock up to your local school and talk to them about what they have available and, if you have enough assessments (bring IQ, skill level, adaptive behaviour, evidence of diagnosis from an appropriate authority with associated assessment scores - should be current, any therapeutic assessments and current IEP) then they may take what you offer otherwise they may need to do their own assessments to determine whether he is a) eligible for disability support and b) how much support, if any. If a child is managing independently in mainstream then you probably wouldnt want to be putting them in an environment with kids with significant disabilities.

Hi Quoll,

Thank you for your reply. You have replied to some of my previous posts and have always been very informative.

We are all Australian citizens, my son was born and diagnosed in Brisbane. Since returning to the UK my son has become a lot more able and independent thanks to the great support he has received. The only thing is we still greatly miss Australia and my wife's parents are there.

We are taking our time investigating schools and options so all information is welcome.

Archived