university in oz??

Guest lollol

hi

im emigrating with my family to melbourne in december and im due to start uni next year

i was wondering if you had any advise on how studnt finance works over there, whether most people live at uni like they do here or commute from home, how maintenance and tuition loans work, anything realy

thanks lauren

Guest clayton gang
hi

im emigrating with my family to melbourne in december and im due to start uni next year

i was wondering if you had any advise on how studnt finance works over there, whether most people live at uni like they do here or commute from home, how maintenance and tuition loans work, anything realy

thanks lauren

Hi Lauren

Good post. I will be watching this one. Our son is doing his A levels at the moment and is hoping to start Uni next year. We hope to be in OZ before he is due to start uni. We already have our visas.

Jenny

Hello there,

OZ students use the HECS scheme where you can pay or like most do, defer payment till after graduation when you reach a salary threshold

HECS-HELP

The tricky bit is if you are going to be PR or Oz citizen, is getting a place when you have not come through the high school system, i.e. been living outside of Oz.

Depending upon the university and where your family is living. If in same city living with family is cheaper, most Oz students work part time plus Austudy

Austudy

Living on campus is not cheap unless as a regional university, whcih are more popular now, but most students, at least after 1st year, would share a house or flat with other students, taking into account convenience for transport for uni and work (used cars are cheap)

Can find accommodation in newspaper main classified days, Gumtree for each city, see Sydney Classifieds - jobs in Sydney, flats to rent, Sydney dating or best bet university noticeboards and housing service.

If you need to know who to speak to for place as Oz citizen or PR candidate I can find out easily enough, helped a few.

Hello there,

OZ students use the HECS scheme where you can pay or like most do, defer payment till after graduation when you reach a salary threshold

HECS-HELP

The tricky bit is if you are going to be PR or Oz citizen, is getting a place when you have not come through the high school system, i.e. been living outside of Oz.

Depending upon the university and where your family is living. If in same city living with family is cheaper, most Oz students work part time plus Austudy

Austudy

Living on campus is not cheap unless as a regional university, whcih are more popular now, but most students, at least after 1st year, would share a house or flat with other students, taking into account convenience for transport for uni and work (used cars are cheap)

Can find accommodation in newspaper main classified days, Gumtree for each city, see Sydney Classifieds - jobs in Sydney, flats to rent, Sydney dating or best bet university noticeboards and housing service.

If you need to know who to speak to for place as Oz citizen or PR candidate I can find out easily enough, helped a few.

Hi

thanks alot that informations brilliant. at the moment i have a confirmed full fee paying place atmelbourne university but i have applied through vtac again and for some others to try for a commonwealth supported place because luckily my a levels were good haha. im jus wondering whether i qualify for fee-help or hecs-help only being pr rather than a citizen?so if you could put me in touch with anyone who could talk me through the finance part of things that woud be great. From what u have said i may considering living at home my first yearand then se what friends i met etc although i wanted to live at uni in england it may be an easier option over there not to although d hate to get there and feel like i was missing out living at home but i suppose its a decision ill have to make myself. the joys of being a student i suppose. i assume fee-help and hecs-help are only for tuition fees therefore is it common for auzzies to get a maintenance loan like we do or is that only to live in as i do intend to get a part time ob but im not sure that will cover my shopping budget and alcohol too haha

thanks again

lauren

im studying a bachelor of the arts in their new model degrees. i applied originally as an international student and was accepted but once we got pr i contacted the uni to see if i cud get a residents place they said yes depending on my results which i received last month. i have a confirmed ful fee paying place but i applied through vtac a few weeks ago for commonwealth supported places and i originally wanted to do law so am considering (if i am accepted of course) going to deakin.

Archived