Berwick high schools

MazPaul

Hi we have been looking in Berwick at rentals and really love the place we need schools for our 6 year old and our 13 year old. Is there a lot of difference between Berwick secondary college and Kambrya school. This is just for the catchment areas.Any advice most welcome.I have to say its hard work trying to sort out a rental most agents are not interested at all.

Ok, have have asked a lot of local people this same question.here's what I have seen and been told

Berwick is an older school...Aussie parents think it is merely ok...not great. Kids do all the things teens do these days...smoking, short uniforms etc. In my opinion the attitude from the head is laid back...kids can listen ti I pods during class time I believe. This completely put me off. Subject choices there are extensive. But, I felt there was a push towards kids doing a trade rather than uni...I could be wrong...just my impression, and of course, doing a trade is a good option...so that's a parenting choice.

We do not know much about kambyra.

We know more about Alkira which is a newish public school not far from kambyra.

Alkira is currently our choice for our daughter as it is a strict school with an inspiring principal. They have rules which must be adhered to. I like that.

A child who was isolated there was treated very well. The school responded. They sent in a councillor who interviewed each child individually to see what could be done to help this child. They individually asked each child what the isolated child could do to become more accepted. This worked. The child is now more accepted last I heard.top marks to the school for dealing with it rather that say...ohh that's just teens, never mind.

Alkira is based on an individual learning model. If your child does not like learning...he she may hate this and take every opportunity to muck around. He she will then lose points etc. my daughters thrive in individual learning, projects etc...so suits them very well. Maths is taught through a computer programme mostly and they are tested monthly. Results are expected...but if they do not get 100 percent they ave to do that level again until they get it.

People I know with children at kambrya are divided in their opinions..some love it, others not. It seems like your general Aussie public secondary to me. The opportunity is there to learn...but no worries if you are no good at stuff. Probably most secondary's are like this these days I imagine.

Pm me if you want to know more about Alkira. And good luck with your decision. But a final note...I would not be breaking my back to get in the berwick sec zone.

Archived