Help please

Bradburns

Hi everyone, wondered if anyone could help. I've read that OH possibly needs to retrain for 18 weeks (4 & a half months). This would mean 18 weeks with no money coming in. We will have money to bring with us but i've been finding out how expensive stuff like dentistry is, so wanted to put most of our money away, fares back to England for the whole family incase theres an emergancy, money for dental fees incase needed (OH has had trouble with his teeth) and money for the obvious like furnature, white goods etc. Does anyone know if this has to be done straight away? I've also read that he could work at a reduced rate, i know it seems mad, but we don't want to leave ourselves with hardly any money. Could he do it when we're settled and know exactly what money we will have left? For him to go self employed does he have to do this? What exactly is required? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

I woman I work with has been here about 6 months and her hubby is a plumber, he's going on a course in October (first available date), apparently can't work as a plumber until he's passed this course (has to do it again if he fails), he's been doing some labouring jobs in the mean time. Not ideal I know but they seem to be getting by.

Ali

Thanks Ali, that's what OH is gonna have to do then, he wont mind if we can get some sort of income until he does the appropriate course. I know it's cheeky but do you know if his wage covers the weekly outgoings, ie rent, bills, shopping etc? My youngest is 1 and eldest is nearly 7 so i will be at home looking after baby so there will only be one income.

Guest UK2Perth

Hi again. My OH is an electronical & mechanical engineerand has been in Perth since July. He signed up with an agency and was placed right away. Although fully qualified in the UK any work he carries out needs to be checked by an ozzy qualified sparkie as the reg's are different (although less strict he says which is bizzarre) He is waitin to hear about a date for the 18 wks course and someone on here said there are only 2 a year, one in the summer, one in the winter because of a shortage of tutors and they only take 25 students so it could be a year before he gets his A class certificate. He is on a reduced rate but is careful with his $'s and has the security of the house sale money to fall back on. Where white goods are concerned, you barter with them and the more items you buy, the more you get knocked off for cash. Also, if you buy energy saving applicances, you can claim rebates back from the government. We chose an inexpensive washing machine so you don't have to spend more than necessary, you just have to be careful not to 'go mad' thinking you have thousands in the bank. I'm sure you'll be fine hun x

Thanks for that, we've started to look at franchises for sale, just incase the job situation is rubbish when we get there, we're just looking for something cheap enough to invest in with the money we're bringing, if we do decide to do this and it doesn't work out , then we can just sell it. Glad that you can get white goods at reasonable prices, don't need flash washing machine & f/freezer really do we?

Thanks for that, we've started to look at franchises for sale, just incase the job situation is rubbish when we get there, we're just looking for something cheap enough to invest in with the money we're bringing, if we do decide to do this and it doesn't work out , then we can just sell it. Glad that you can get white goods at reasonable prices, don't need flash washing machine & f/freezer really do we?

Hello Bradburns,

If you let me know what trade your husband practices, and where you will be living, I can give you the contact details of the relevant registration/licensing authority, and you can contact them to find out exactly what will be required for him to be licensed/registered, whether he can work at all without this registration (at a lower wage) etc.

Regards,

Hi Bradburns,

Not sure as his wife who I work with is a nurse, but they have 2 children, they've just bought a house in port Kennedy so must be managing. She said her hubby is enjoying what he's doing and may possibly not go back to plumbing even after the course as he feels quite relaxed at the moment.

Ali

Thanks Kathryn, OH is a Brickie and we're hpefully going to Brisbane. Have just asked my agent the same question, he's gonna get back to me. I ask the main questions i need answering on here as the response is usually quicker.

Hello again,

Licensing is compulsory in order to carry out or supervise building work over the value of $1100 (including Labour and materials).

Building Services Authority

11 Edmondstone Street

South Brisbane QLD 4101

PMB 84, Coorparoo DC QLD 4151

Telephone: 61 7 3225 2800

Fax: 61 7 3225 2999

Email: info@bsa.qld.gov.au

You may wish to look into Blue Cards as well: http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/workplace/training/training/induction/index.htm

Kathryn

Guest UK2Perth

Hi Kathryn,

Perhaps you could help with our dilemma.. My OH is in Perth at the moment and the TRA has written to him asking for copies of his qualifications etc. which he did from the UK before he moved out there. He can't apply for an electrician/mechanical engineer job at the moment because he doesn't have an A class certificate so is working for an agency as a trades assistant on bad money! The agent didn't tell us this and he is feeling very disheartened as we are having to use our savings to pay for rent and can't yet buy a house becuase he hasn't go a permanent job and can't get this without the certificate. Someone said he could possibly bypass the course and just take the test but surely his UK quals count for something out there? Jo

Hi Kathryn,

Perhaps you could help with our dilemma.. My OH is in Perth at the moment and the TRA has written to him asking for copies of his qualifications etc. which he did from the UK before he moved out there. He can't apply for an electrician/mechanical engineer job at the moment because he doesn't have an A class certificate so is working for an agency as a trades assistant on bad money! The agent didn't tell us this and he is feeling very disheartened as we are having to use our savings to pay for rent and can't yet buy a house becuase he hasn't go a permanent job and can't get this without the certificate. Someone said he could possibly bypass the course and just take the test but surely his UK quals count for something out there? Jo

I hope I can help!! I'm not an expert on all the ins and outs of licensing and registration, but the best thing I can suggest is that he contact the licensing authorities of WA and find out if there is an easier way to become fully licensed/registered. Send me an email at k.bruinsma@visabureau.com - reminding me in the email of his trade and the state - and I will send you the contact information I have.

Kathryn

Archived