internet in tasmania

cass73

hi to all you helpfull poms in tas

i was just wondering what the internet is like there and on line shopping such as amazon? also do you have skype and how good is it as its something i would hope to use alot to talk to my family back home and in botswana.

we have heard that shopping is awfull in tas but we are not to bothered it didnt seem that bad to us when we were there as where we live in leatherhead you have hairdressers, charity shops or estate agents

thanks Cass and the family

Guest siamsusie

Hi Cass,

Our family in Hobart dont experience too many problems in with the Internet and they live near the yacht club. but there are areas of drop outs. Skani one of our members should be on soon and she can tell you more.

I actually find shopping in Hobart very very nice, lovely boutiques, nice shopping areas.... Dont forget the historical markets etc, that is just gorgeous. It has everything you need here I find!

There is also a great cottage industry of handmade goods here together with home grown markets.

We definately are not inundated with shopping malls per se which I detest lol..

Skype I use every day with no worries at all. Yes Amazon, Fishpond, Book depository all the internet shopping is available.

Dont forget you are only an hour away from Melbourne if you need something which might be unavailable in Tasmania!

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Australia_and_Oceania/Australia/State_of_Tasmania/Hobart-1875172/Shopping-Hobart-TG-C-1.html

http://www.hobart.world-guides.com/hobart_shopping.html

Susie

The internet is generally good in cities and suburbs although some rural areas can have patchy service. However the government was offering a subsidy for satellite internet for anyone who had no other options although I'm not sure if that is still the case. We had to opt for wireless internet as our phone line couldn't support ADSL and I am finding now that popular times of the day - late afternoon and evening - are problematic for us as we use the same infrastructure as mobile phones. It seems to me that, with the explosion of services offered by mobile phones, the infrastructure is not being extended to cope with it. So, if you have a choice, I would definitely go with ADSL or the optic fibre network which is offered in some suburbs and towns.

I frequently use online shopping, including Amazon, in both the UK and US and find the service very good - both ordering and delivery.

I personally don't have Skype but have many friends who do and they seem perfectly happy with it.

I wouldn't describe shopping as awful at all. If your idea of recreation is spending hours in shopping malls then you won't be too thrilled. And obviously, with a total population of only 500,000 in the entire state there is not the range of products in lines like furniture that you would find in a huge market like the UK. But it is quite adequate: often it is just a case of getting to know WHERE to look. And if you feel the need for extra retail therapy you can often get cheap flights to Melbourne for a day or two. Personally I have NEVER felt the need for that!

Guest siamsusie

I had Skymesh installed by the Government (gratis may I add) and initially I was more than happy.

Things recently havent gone too well, with too many frequent drop outs!

We are now back with Telstra on their new Bigpond Ultimate wireless $49 plan and this seems to be working fine.

Telstra seem to come in for a hammering but in a small mining town in WA they were fantastic and my dealings with them here in Tasmania has been hassle free.

Susie x

We are now back with Telstra on their new Bigpond Ultimate wireless $49 plan and this seems to be working fine.

Susie x

Hello Susie,

I'm on a Telstra Bigpond wireless plan too. So you aren't having "service not available" patches?

For example, last night I tried 4 different times between 5.27 pm and 8.50 pm and couldn't access the internet or download mail.

It may be that the infrastructure is becoming particularly overloaded in the Hobart area.

Vivien xx

Guest siamsusie
Hello Susie,

I'm on a Telstra Bigpond wireless plan too. So you aren't having "service not available" patches?

For example, last night I tried 4 different times between 5.27 pm and 8.50 pm and couldn't access the internet or download mail.

It may be that the infrastructure is becoming particularly overloaded in the Hobart area.

Vivien xx

:hug: Morning Vivien,

I dont want to promote fate, but touch wood, so far this seems the better option for me here.

We cant get ADSL because we are 5.86k from the Post Office.:biggrin:.. Have you got the Ultimate Vivien?:biggrin::biggrin:I love that word, it has all the sounds of "promise" ?

Susie x

Morning IOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOgygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygy Susie (that was a small Burmese cat saying morning too!),

I think my plan is called Liberty, although it is the same price as yours. But we originally got it several years ago so maybe they have renamed things. It could well be just a problem with the local infrastructure - I seem to be the only person around here without a "smart phone" now, so everyone else is spending hours playing with their new toys and overloading the system..grrrrrrh!

Vivien

Guest siamsusie
Morning IOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOgygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygygy Susie (that was a small Burmese cat saying morning too!),

I think my plan is called Liberty, although it is the same price as yours. But we originally got it several years ago so maybe they have renamed things. It could well be just a problem with the local infrastructure - I seem to be the only person around here without a "smart phone" now, so everyone else is spending hours playing with their new toys and overloading the system..grrrrrrh!

Vivien

Your cat makes more sense than some:wink::biggrin:. Mr Siam has just said, why not give them a ring "its old now" and hopefully they will give it to you for nothing!

ETA.. that they gave us The Ultimate on a 10 day free trial basis so that may be useful to you Vivien x

:hug: xxxx

Your cat makes more sense than some:wink::biggrin:. Mr Siam has just said, why not give them a ring "its old now" and hopefully they will give it to you for nothing!

:hug: xxxx

Yes, I've sometimes thought that about the cats too! They're also more musical than many things I hear on the radio :biggrin:

(I had a fridge magnet "The more I learn about men, the more I love my cat". I've had to hide it though in case Mark is skulking around when I'm not looking...."Come back...I really didn't mean it, darling" :wink:)

Yes, I should do what Mr Siam said....not too sure about the "for nothing" bit though!

:hug:

Guest siamsusie
Yes, I've sometimes thought that about the cats too! They're also more musical than many things I hear on the radio :biggrin:

(I had a fridge magnet "The more I learn about men, the more I love my cat". I've had to hide it though in case Mark is skulking around when I'm not looking...."Come back...I really didn't mean it, darling" :wink:)

Yes, I should do what Mr Siam said....not too sure about the "for nothing" bit though!

:hug:

Mark will definately be skulking Vivien, I can assure you of that:wink:.

Maybe the 10 day free trial you can extend to 20 days.. Just purr at them Vivien.. you know you can do it:laugh:

Love Susie xx

Mark will definately be skulking Vivien, I can assure you of that:wink:.

Maybe the 10 day free trial you can extend to 20 days.. Just purr at them Vivien.. you know you can do it:laugh:

Love Susie xx

Yes, in fact I am sure he was skulking last night :jiggy: - twice!! :jiggy::jiggy:

I've never been very good at that purring thing. I could take my friend, Sara, with me though...she's amazing at that :wideeyed:

Guest siamsusie
Yes, in fact I am sure he was skulking last night :jiggy: - twice!! :jiggy::jiggy:

I've never been very good at that purring thing. I could take my friend, Sara, with me though...she's amazing at that :wideeyed:

Oh Skani I am so delighted, what a warm feeling that must have been!:hug:

Good luck with Telstra, I enjoy a good relationship with them myself:wubclub: but I dont up easily!:laugh:

:hug: Susie xx

Oh Skani I am so delighted, what a warm feeling that must have been!:hug:

Good luck with Telstra, I enjoy a good relationship with them myself:wubclub: but I dont up easily!:laugh:

:hug: Susie xx

Yes, I'll have to pm you about :jiggy: later (off to see my dad who is in hospital :arghh:)

I probably do give up too easily - just too nice :wink:

Love, Vivien

Guest siamsusie
Yes, I'll have to pm you about :jiggy: later (off to see my dad who is in hospital :arghh:)

I probably do give up too easily - just too nice :wink:

Love, Vivien

Oh Skani I wish your Dad well....:cry: :hug:.

Yes far too nice Skani:laugh: but you can still give that wee nip when you wish:laugh: which of course I love.

Looking forward to the PM.... I am sure I will have a good litle giggle.

Keep safe out there.

Love Susie xx

Archived