Opinions on Northgate, north Brisbane?

paisleylass

Hi all

After trawling realestate.com.au looking at many areas from Sandgate to Ormiston (bayside theme there!), I'm now concentrating more on practicalities like public transport to work, and Northgate is looking great for frequency of trains and reasonable rental prices - we'd like a 2 bed townhouse or unit with aircon and some outdoor space, and I'm seeing a few nice rentals just now within budget. Even better, if my current job networking works out, I'd be ideally positioned to train it to Bowen Hills for Herston.

I don't see much mention of Northgate on this forum, anyone have any experience of living here? If it helps we are a 30s couple, no kids, not bothered with nightlife on our doorstep (happy to train/taxi to wherever for that) and prefer a quietish neighbourhood but aren't offended by kids playing in the street! We get that in spades here and it's not a bother :biggrin:

Guest gemfromoz

Hiya,

I don't know about now, but I lived in north gate 9 years ago at 18... It was a two bed flat. I never felt unsafe walking back from the train station at night, it was quiet, although you do need to bear in mind that it is semi industrial with factories and warehouses there. The residential areas were nice though. I think if you get the right place it could be quite nice.

Oh and toms confectionary warehouse is just around the corner! Yum!

Gem

Thanks Gem! Not too worried about stuff like factories nearby - I once lived right opposite a gasworks, it couldn't be worse than that! Quiet and safety are more important :biggrin: As is accessibility, given I don't drive and my potential work location (fingers crossed) is a bit out of the CBD.

I was just telling hubby about Tom's Confectionary Warehouse yesterday as he's a sweetie addict, didn't realise it was there! That may well be the deal-breaker for him!

Thanks Gem! Not too worried about stuff like factories nearby - I once lived right opposite a gasworks, it couldn't be worse than that! Quiet and safety are more important :biggrin: As is accessibility, given I don't drive and my potential work location (fingers crossed) is a bit out of the CBD.

I was just telling hubby about Tom's Confectionary Warehouse yesterday as he's a sweetie addict, didn't realise it was there! That may well be the deal-breaker for him!

Sorry don't know northgate but herston is nice...and quiet too...could live there?

Yep, could consider Herston itself if my job thing works out for sure! Northgate appears to be a bit cheaper and I'm also thinking about flexibility given that I may just end up temping who-knows-where in the CBD, heheh!

Only issue with Herston/Bowen Hills is the lower-priced rentals tend more to be flats in big blocks, or shared accommodation (no way!) - and while we *might* be able to afford higher rent on a nice townhouse I don't mind a short commute and spend the money on something else (like our UK mortgage interest if we can't sell!!). But it's certainly something we could consider! At the moment we know husband's salary but my potential earnings are unknown - booo!

Oh - this house looks good and is priced just fine - not sure what's going on with the floor in the last pic though - unless it's the garage?! http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-qld-herston-403212634

...............use ourbrisbane.com for a suburb profile..........
Thanks tink, having a look now. Looks like the proportion of couples in Northgate with kids to no-kids is roughly equal which wouldn't make us stick out like a pair of freaks, teehee! Very useful, have saved to my favourites :wubclub:

Archived