Soap powders, bio & non bio

Just been doing a pile of ironing and got to wondering, even though its a little while off yet ...

Still in the UK and we live in a hard water area. So filter our drinking water etc. Laundry wise I use Persil non bio for everything (occasionally Fairy no bio) always in powder form. Never the liquid or capsules. Don't use a fabric conditioner either.

Hubby is from Aus and before he moved over here permanently suffered eczema. Once living in the UK a while it cleared up and he has very few problems now. However, every time we've visited Aus since he moved here his skin has always flared up. We narrowed it down to the soap powder and when we got back to the UK last time I had to wash *everything* even the clean stuff as it was making his skin itch so badly. Same for my son who has never had problems in the UK. We tried a few brands while in Aus but none of them seemed to be ok for them :no:

What do you use over in Aus if your kids or family members have skin reactions to the bio powders? Have you found a decent equivalent for Persil or Fairy non bio? I know when we move over I shall probably bring a couple of boxes of Persil powder with us to tide us over just in case we can't find a brand straight away. It'll be a case of trial and error so would rather have something I know I can trust to begin with than have hubby or son suffering :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

My son has eczema and we use Omo Sensitive. I haven't heard the term biological or non biological used since I was last in the UK, I don't think they refer to things like that over here. However, I checked on the Omo website and they say this...

Is Omo laundry detergent biological?

The term 'biological' is a European term used to inform consumers when a product contains enzymes. Products with enzymes are referred to as 'biological' while products without enzymes are termed 'non-biological'. If you are looking for a non-biological product use Omo or Omo Front Loader Sensitive laundry powder or Omo or Omo Front Loader Small & Mighty Senistive Liquid detergent. (Omo products apart from the Sensitive variants are biological.)

http://www.unilever.com.au/brands/Brand_FAQs/omofaq.aspx

Hope that's some help :)

Guest alison and Simon

I had same probs in UK and only used non bio - persil and fairy. Over here - Omo (persil) sensitive is the only ine we use and dont use conditioner either.xx Never a problem X

Thank you both. That's good to know. I've made a note of Omo sensitive so will ensure that is first on the shopping list.

I'll still ship a couple of boxes out anyways if there is room. I'll be taking a small box in checked luggage also as a precaution. I've taken soap power before when travelling and never had problems doing so.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest16631

..................if you have a septic system.................you are limited to the chemicals you use.................and as one of mine had eczma.................I sometimes made my own...............scented with a little lavender oil.............

• one part - Bi Carbonate Soda,
  • one part - Washing Soda (the powder form - not the crystal form)
  • one part - pure Soap Flakes, (either Lux, grated Sunlight soap, or grate your own home made soap).

Can I just ask, are we able to bring the washing gel over in our cases - I know sounds mad but just wondering ??

I have no idea about airlines and what you can/can't pack - shampoo - b.o spray ??

As in washing detergent? Would you really want to take up space with that when you can buy similar in Aus? If you are shipping stuff I guess you could ship it with your house contents, but I'd not take it in luggage. Valuable space and all that. Plus weight.

As for shower gels, shampoo, deo spray, Aus sells it aswell :cute: I found pretty much everything I use is marketed over there, sometimes under a different brand name but most of the time its the same.

As in washing detergent? Would you really want to take up space with that when you can buy similar in Aus? If you are shipping stuff I guess you could ship it with your house contents, but I'd not take it in luggage. Valuable space and all that. Plus weight.

As for shower gels, shampoo, deo spray, Aus sells it aswell :cute: I found pretty much everything I use is marketed over there, sometimes under a different brand name but most of the time its the same.

Completely agree - you'll have to change brands eventually, so just go for it!

:)

Guest Beth101

Hi - I have the same problem with soap powders in the UK, and could only use Fairy non-bio or another one in a pink box (forgotten the name). In Australia I use Planet Ark Aware sensitive, which has no enzymes or fragrance added. You can buy it in any of the supermarkets. I've had no problems with it at all. Most of the suncream brands also do a 'sensitive' line, incase you have problems with suncream too.

Archived