In a sticky situation if anyone can help!

Stulatics

Hi,

Hope you are all well. I was just wondering if someone could help please.

I am a 31-year-old from England. I am a journalist by trade. I came here just over two years ago on a 417 visa. Just after I got here I found work at a small country paper in NSW. I have been on assorted bridging visas for about two years as my employer has tried to sponsor me, without success.

Our latest application for a 457 visa was rejected yesterday on the grounds that my potential sponsors are not an "approved" business. Apparently, they do not meet the designated amount for providing funds for training workers, so do not meet the guidelines. Again, apparently, my/our only course of action left now is to go to a migration tribunal. This could be a costly/time-consuming exercise.

It seems ridiculous. I know life isn't fair, but since I have been here I have paid taxes, abided by rules etc. My employers have never tried to sponsor someone before so don't know much about 'the rules' of sponsoring a foreign worker. They are also a small business in country NSW, which is something the immigration department does not seem to take into account.

I was wondering if anyone had been through these tribunals. If so, did they have success? Are they worth it? Does anyone know if there are any alternative routes I could go down or any visas I could apply for?

I know that the best course of action now is to try and contact a migration agent. If anyone can give me any advice now, though, I would be very grateful. The thought of having to leave Oz makes me want to cry. I just want to stay here, eventually get a job in Sydney and be with the person I love there. Going back home now makes me pretty scared.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Stuart xx

Guest Jamie Smith

Gday

There are ways of satisfying the employer criteria that are becoming well known to agents, sadly not every case officer shares the knowledge with applicants.

Best advice is for your employer to employ the services of an agent who can show ample experience handling 457 "employer as sponsor" cases, not "applicant for a visa" cases like yours.

Chin up.

Hi,

Hope you are all well. I was just wondering if someone could help please.

I am a 31-year-old from England. I am a journalist by trade. I came here just over two years ago on a 417 visa. Just after I got here I found work at a small country paper in NSW. I have been on assorted bridging visas for about two years as my employer has tried to sponsor me, without success.

Our latest application for a 457 visa was rejected yesterday on the grounds that my potential sponsors are not an "approved" business. Apparently, they do not meet the designated amount for providing funds for training workers, so do not meet the guidelines. Again, apparently, my/our only course of action left now is to go to a migration tribunal. This could be a costly/time-consuming exercise.

It seems ridiculous. I know life isn't fair, but since I have been here I have paid taxes, abided by rules etc. My employers have never tried to sponsor someone before so don't know much about 'the rules' of sponsoring a foreign worker. They are also a small business in country NSW, which is something the immigration department does not seem to take into account.

I was wondering if anyone had been through these tribunals. If so, did they have success? Are they worth it? Does anyone know if there are any alternative routes I could go down or any visas I could apply for?

I know that the best course of action now is to try and contact a migration agent. If anyone can give me any advice now, though, I would be very grateful. The thought of having to leave Oz makes me want to cry. I just want to stay here, eventually get a job in Sydney and be with the person I love there. Going back home now makes me pretty scared.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Stuart xx

Hi Stuart,

My first post on this website. I hope this isn't out of order but you say you want to be with the person you love in Sydney. Any chance that they could sponsor you as their de facto? Assuming the relationship has been long enough and is 'genuine' in the eyes of DIAC

Guest siamsusie

If you are in NSW, maybe give George Lombard a call.. I thoroughly recommend him

http://www.austimmigration.com.au/site/

http://www.ozmigrationagency.com.au/ Cheryl Bird is also a lovely lady

http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/index.cfm

I do hope you manage to sort out this situation... may I ask have you lived with your partner?

Susie x

Guest siamsusie
Hi Stuart,

My first post on this website. I hope this isn't out of order but you say you want to be with the person you love in Sydney. Any chance that they could sponsor you as their de facto? Assuming the relationship has been long enough and is 'genuine' in the eyes of DIAC

Welcome to Poms In Oz P182,

I hope you enjoy our forum.:wubclub:

Susie

If you are in NSW, maybe give George Lombard a call.. I thoroughly recommend him

http://www.austimmigration.com.au/site/

http://www.ozmigrationagency.com.au/ Cheryl Bird is also a lovely lady

http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/index.cfm

I do hope you manage to sort out this situation... may I ask have you lived with your partner?

Susie x

Hey Susie,

Thanks so much for your quick response.

Haven't lived with my 'partner'. It's complicated, but it's a long-distance relationships. Call it a sudden realisation that I love this person, or at the very least want to give the relationship a try!

Guest siamsusie
Hey Susie,

Thanks so much for your quick response.

Haven't lived with my 'partner'. It's complicated, but it's a long-distance relationships. Call it a sudden realisation that I love this person, or at the very least want to give the relationship a try!

Hi Stuart,

it was worth a thought!

I would be on the phone tomorrow morning to one of the agents, they have the expertise Stuart and hopefully can come up with a solution as well for you.

One of the members "Ozmaniac" is brilliant on migration issues also, may I suggest you drop him a PM to http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/22308.html to see what suggestions can be had there!

Do let us know how you get on Stuart:hug:

Susie x

Hi Susie/everyone else,

Thanks very much for your responses. Much appreciated. I'm not feeling too confident about things. I know rules are rules but this is ridiculous! The whole process has left me very fed up.

Cheers again though - here's hoping something good can happen!

Stuart x

I really would take some professional help on teh employer sponsored route, there is also the RSMS visa which might be worth exploring since you are in a regional area.

Would this person you love feel inclined to get married? If so, then there is the prospective marriage visa, however I believe you would need to be offshore when you apply for this and then you would have the issue of how to get back on shore and continue working in the meantime.

Archived