New Points Test Overseas Work Exp

Guest HappyTravels

Guest HappyTravels

I am getting very confuded about the work experience element of the new points test due to come in July 2011.

Will I get any points for work experience if I have three years work experience in the past five years - but 18 months of this was gained in Australia - which was more than 2 years ago so I cant get the Australian work experience, but can I still use this experience to get points. I would assume that I would - otherwise it would imply Australian work experience is less relevant?

I would need to get 8 points for my ILETS test if I my work experience doesnt count - which is not impossible, but I would prefer not to have the pressure of getting such a high score.

Are you looking at the NEW new points test? The one that was released today?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-test.pdf

It reads:

Skilled employment

Points will be awarded for employment in a skilled occupation, either in Australia or overseas.

To claim points for skilled employment, the experience must be in an applicant’s nominated

occupation, or a closely related occupation. Where applicable, applicants can claim points for both

Australian skilled employment and overseas skilled employment under the points test.

Applicants will be awarded points based on demonstration of a verifiable skilled employment history

undertaken in the last 10 years as follows:

Australian skilled employment in their nominated occupation or a closely related

occupation.

Points Length of employment

5 One year

10 Three years

15 Five years

20 Eight years

Overseas skilled employment in their nominated occupation or a closely related occupation.

Points Length of employment

5 Three years

10 Five years

15 Eight years

Australian and overseas employment over the past ten years can be combined, however the maximum number of points that can be awarded for Australian or overseas employment experience or combinations of both is 20 points.

For the purpose of awarding points, the department considers skilled employment in the nominated occupation or a closely related occupation will comprise at least 20 hours employment per week. In determining whether an applicant’s skilled employment is closely related to their nominated occupation, the department will take into consideration the occupations within one unit group classified under Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).

My reading of that suggests that you would get 5 points for your 1 year of Australian work experience, but none for overseas work experience because you haven't worked overseas for 3 years. Note though that the new test includes work over 10 years, not 5 so perhaps you have some overseas experience from more than 5 years ago that you haven't mentioned.

Guest ainaedil

The experience requirement is after studies has completed or work can be counted while studying. For Example I started ACCA in Feb 2003 , before that I have done CAT ( ACCA's certificate ). During ACCA studies, in 2005 I started to work as an assistant accountant than promoted as Manager in an accountancy practice in 2008.

I fininshed ACCA Feb 2011 and still hold Management position in an accountancy practice.

Would my experience be counted , If yes how many years?

Thanks

The experience requirement is after studies has completed or work can be counted while studying. For Example I started ACCA in Feb 2003 , before that I have done CAT ( ACCA's certificate ). During ACCA studies, in 2005 I started to work as an assistant accountant than promoted as Manager in an accountancy practice in 2008.

I fininshed ACCA Feb 2011 and still hold Management position in an accountancy practice.

Thanks

This has been delegated to the assessment authorities. The accounting bodies will get to make a call on this. Ask ICAA or CPAA after 1 July.

Happy Travels,

I'm in exactly same place as you regarding work exp.....

Started with my company in 2001, did HNC and degree on day release and graduated in 2008. However like you i still achieved adequate working certs before my degree.

Have you spoken to any agents about it??????

I'm hoping we would both pass as we technically was working in the industry that was related.

G

• 1 month later...
Guest topsycombs

Can anyone kindly advice me on securing points for my aussie migration application. I have passed my assessment from the Aussie computer society as an IT systems Analyst with 4years work experience. I badly need to claim 5years experience to meet up the required points (10points). The aussie migration website says i can use either my Nominated occupation or a closely related occupation (as quoted by ozmanic) . Does this mean that i can use together both the nominated occupation (IT SYstems Analyst) and a closely related skill like a Systems Engineer or support analyst that i have worked as in the past? My career allows me to work on varying hyrid capacities and not just as a systems anlayst.

• 1 year later...

Thanks

Were you able to claim points for pre qualifucation experience for a skilled visa? I ask as we are in a similar situation. We can meet the minimum criteria but the extra 15 points would put us right up there.

Many thanks

Lou

Archived