manly (brisbane)area playmates for 4 and 1 year old

Guest rebeccaw

Guest rebeccaw

Hi we are about to rent a house in Manly, just outside Brisbane, in a week after arriving from Manchester in May.

I have a 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter and wondered if anyone was on here living nearby (with any children of similar age to either) up for meeting for picnic/park or anything else in Manly or surrounding area. I'm staying off work till Jan to look after both until my son starts at Manly Primary School in January.

He's spent almost a year at school in UK so is going to be very very bored for 6 months - so if you have any children of similar ages to either would love to meet up!

There doesn't seem much in the way of groups except the odd church playgroup in Manly - but if you know of anymore be great to know.

Rebeccax

:smile:

Guest megapixel
Hi we are about to rent a house in Manly, just outside Brisbane, in a week after arriving from Manchester in May.

I have a 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter and wondered if anyone was on here living nearby (with any children of similar age to either) up for meeting for picnic/park or anything else in Manly or surrounding area. I'm staying off work till Jan to look after both until my son starts at Manly Primary School in January.

He's spent almost a year at school in UK so is going to be very very bored for 6 months - so if you have any children of similar ages to either would love to meet up!

There doesn't seem much in the way of groups except the odd church playgroup in Manly - but if you know of anymore be great to know.

Rebeccax

:smile:

Hi Rebecca

I have just left that area. I don't have young kids, but can give you a little local knowledge that may help. There is a visitor centre in the main street of Manly who may have some information on groups and local events for kids. Also a less touristy one next to Wynnum Library (who run groups for kids and adults, book clubs, talks etc). If you are into book clubs, the local book shop in the Manly village shopping centre runs one and it is a good way to meet people.

Subscribe to the local councillor's newsletter for info on community events and groups in the area http://www.petercumming.com/ This can be useful too http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whats-on

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know! Feel free to DM me with any q's, I will try to help. Good luck, it is a lovely area.

MP

PS I can recommend the Drs at the Manly West shopping centre where Woolworths is, v family friendly (Tita in particular).

Guest rebeccaw
Hi Rebecca

I have just left that area. I don't have young kids, but can give you a little local knowledge that may help. There is a visitor centre in the main street of Manly who may have some information on groups and local events for kids. Also a less touristy one next to Wynnum Library (who run groups for kids and adults, book clubs, talks etc). If you are into book clubs, the local book shop in the Manly village shopping centre runs one and it is a good way to meet people.

Subscribe to the local councillor's newsletter for info on community events and groups in the area http://www.petercumming.com/ This can be useful too http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whats-on

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know! Feel free to DM me with any q's, I will try to help. Good luck, it is a lovely area.

MP

PS I can recommend the Drs at the Manly West shopping centre where Woolworths is, v family friendly (Tita in particular).

thanks so much that's really helpful am glad you liked it there it looks lovely but takes a while to tell properly x

Rebeccax

HI Rebecca my children are all grown up teenagers but have friends with little ones have you joined the brisbannittes they are on face book startedby a friend have monthly social meet ups at local parks/beaches a good way to start to make new friends

Guest rebeccaw

Rebeccax

HI Rebecca my children are all grown up teenagers but have friends with little ones have you joined the brisbannittes they are on face book startedby a friend have monthly social meet ups at local parks/beaches a good way to start to make new friends

thanks v much - is that a different page to the redland bay one on facebook?

Hi Rebecca

Can't really help as my son is 10 now ... but definitely look up the group Sue is talking about - the Brisbannittes - on facebook. They have loads of members - many of which live in the Bayside area and there are quite a few with children aged under 6. They're a friendly bunch and organise all sorts of meets - at weekends and during the week. On another note, mine and my friends' children are at manly state school and it is always highly praised.

Guest rebeccaw
Hi Rebecca

Can't really help as my son is 10 now ... but definitely look up the group Sue is talking about - the Brisbannittes - on facebook. They have loads of members - many of which live in the Bayside area and there are quite a few with children aged under 6. They're a friendly bunch and organise all sorts of meets - at weekends and during the week. On another note, mine and my friends' children are at manly state school and it is always highly praised.

thanks it's good to know it's a good school as we were all set to live an hour out of brisbane with school set up etc so manly has been a last minute changte of heart so am really glad you like the school

• 2 months later...
Guest JacquiG

Hi Rebecca,

we are also moving to the Manly area in a couple of weeks with a 3 and a half year old daughter and 11 month old baby girl. It is a while since you sent this post but perhaps you are still in the area? My husband has a job in the CBD and we have not arranged temporary accommodation yet. Hopefully we will get a furnished place but I am not sure if that type of thing is available. I am a kiwi, hubby is an australian, but we haven't lived in australia for 10 years. Anyway, we dont know anybody in the manly area or anything about the schools (the kindergarten waiting list system seems a nightmare!). Let me know if you are still about and we might meet up for playdates etc?

See you

Jacqui

Guest rebeccaw
Hi Rebecca,

we are also moving to the Manly area in a couple of weeks with a 3 and a half year old daughter and 11 month old baby girl. It is a while since you sent this post but perhaps you are still in the area? My husband has a job in the CBD and we have not arranged temporary accommodation yet. Hopefully we will get a furnished place but I am not sure if that type of thing is available. I am a kiwi, hubby is an australian, but we haven't lived in australia for 10 years. Anyway, we dont know anybody in the manly area or anything about the schools (the kindergarten waiting list system seems a nightmare!). Let me know if you are still about and we might meet up for playdates etc?

See you

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui

would love to meet up but sadly not too long after we posted this we moved to Melbourne as the work situ was not as we'd hoped in Brisbane - thankfully we ended up in a lovley spot an hour out of Melbourne!! Thanks so much for your reply though - re kinder places we got one v last minute just by ringing round after we arrived in Manly and someone left at short notice so its v much worth ringing each kindie in the area individually or even popping in and leaving your details as things can change quickly. Re houses I have seen the odd furnished let on real.estate.com.au

There is also the odd playgroup in that area look on the natonal wesite of Playgroup Australia and it will tell you your local playgroup - churches also have plenty and also local libraries have storytime weekly for pre-schools. I found the local tourist info centre in manly v helpful and gave me a list of local playgroups and believe wynnum has same. Also on facebook is a group called the Brisbannites full of v friendly people many with young kids in brisbane and all suburbs who organise regular meet ups and play dates etc

best of luck and thanks again for reply shame we are in Melbourne with ages so similiar. Also - I found out that Manly Primary School in v good so if you can get a rental in their catchment you are sorted if going to a state school!

Rebeccax

Archived