D Day

Bobj

Every year at this time I marvel at the logistics of the greatest invasion in history, "Operation Overlord".

For the actual invasion, 6,000 ships were needed for D-Day and for future cross-Channel trips carrying troops and equipment. In the first three days of the attack, Overlord planned to move over 100,000 men and nearly 13,000 vehicles. The plan also included the movement of an artificial harbour so that people and materials could be landed with more ease once the landing beaches had been secured..

Overlord had built into it the movement of a total of 3 million men in 47 divisions, moved by 6000 ships with aerial cover provided by 5000 fighter planes. That it was such an overwhelming success (with major casualties only occurring at Juno and Omaha Beach) is indicative of how well planned it was.

Extract from Operation Overlord.

On 6th June 1944 this operation was implemented and I always pause to tryclear.gif and comprehend the sheer immensity of it all and to remember the sacrifices made that day and the following few days for so many men who paid the supreme price that we might have freedom today.

I watch "Band Of Brothers" every 5th June to remind me of the hopes, fears, and sheer guts of all those who landed.

Please spare a few moments to remember them and what they achieved.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It is hard to imagine just how those brave people would have felt, going into battle and things like this are the reasons why we actually exhist today, make no bones about it, if we had lost to the Hitler and the Nazis, most of us would never have been born.

Guest Sir Les Patterson
Every year at this time I marvel at the logistics of the greatest invasion in history, "Operation Overlord".

Bob, yes it was a fantastic logistical exercise. The poor Canadians copped a real hiding at Juno and like you I watch "Band of Brothers". That along with "Saving Private Ryan" really brings out what it must have been like to land on a hostile beach. I had two Uncles flying with the RAF during WW2 (one survived,one didn't). Uncle Bob (the surviving one) flew Hawker Typhoons with 175 SQ during the D Day landings and the subsequent Allied advance east toward Germany. His flying tales really inspired me when I was a young bloke and was probably the catalyst that made me join the RAAF. 67 years tomorrow.....lest we forget.

Bob, yes it was a fantastic logistical exercise. The poor Canadians copped a real hiding at Juno and like you I watch "Band of Brothers". That along with "Saving Private Ryan" really brings out what it must have been like to land on a hostile beach. I had two Uncles flying with the RAF during WW2 (one survived,one didn't). Uncle Bob (the surviving one) flew Hawker Typhoons with 175 SQ during the D Day landings and the subsequent Allied advance east toward Germany. His flying tales really inspired me when I was a young bloke and was probably the catalyst that made me join the RAAF. 67 years tomorrow.....lest we forget.

Did you ever meet a Wing Commander Reggie Baker while flying Typhoons ? ...

Guest guest37336

A logistical feat of a great magnitude indeed Bob. The lives lost and the bravery of these men and women should be remembered for ever more, God forbid their sacrifice (and their families) is ever forgotten,:notworthy::notworthy:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Archived