sponsorship criteria confusion

Guest andygeorge

Guest andygeorge

hi, my wife and I have been saving to move to oz for the last year, her working in mental health and me an electrician with little work. lets just say its hard to save! we've realised that its going to cost a bit more to make the move than first thought. I was born in australia and recently received my ozy passport. We've been working on the assumption that a spouse's visa is the only way to go, however their are companies that will organise for nurses to get out there providing temporary accomodation and such like and we're a bit confused as to whether my wife can get on this scheme as I am effectively an australian citizen even though I've grown up here in the uk. We're just desperate to get out there asap and the way things are going its going to be adleast another year which is soul destroying, but that may be the only option. mone money bloody money! cheers andy

The fact that you're an Australian citizen won't in any way affect your wife's eligibility for a 457 temporary employer sponsored visa and if you see that as a faster way of getting to Australia rather than saving and then getting a Partner visa beforehand, go for it. Her being guaranteed a job as soon as she lands is another benefit of that approach.

She will eventually need a Partner visa but a 457 will put it off for a while - note though that onshore PVs are more expensive than offshore ones.

As an electrician though, you should investigate what will be required to enable you to get a licence to work in Australia. I know zero about it, but there are heaps of sparkies on PIO and I'm sure they'll be willing to advise you. There are also a number of threads on here posted by electricians and while most of them will be talking about passing skills assessment (which you won't need), I think they also address the licensing question. If you're short of funds and getting the licence costs more money than you have at present, best to be aware of that in advance.

Archived