Car rego in each state

I'm trying to research buying a car when we finally get there, and have trawled each state's website, but not sure if I have the correct information (in case they are just not making it clear etc ie - I think SA you only have to pay rego, and no pink slip, but not sure) so wondered if kindly people in each state/territory here could chip in with the regulations where they are/what they did when buying/selling a car? I've also tried searching numerous websites to see if there is a round up of this info anywhere, and can't seem to find it, so thought it might be helpful....

I know there are differences between having a car inspection/road worthiness/pink slip etc etc and not in different places, so if anyone could reply and say:

1) What area you are in

2) If you brought from a dealer or not (I believe all dealers everywhere need a car inspection when selling?)

3) If you had to have a car inspection when you rego'd your car

4) What the cost was to register your car to you

5) How much rego was (and for how long).

6) anything else you think needs saying about where you are (ie, its a pain/easy/anything else :biggrin: )

Many thanks - sure it will be helpful to more than just us....

(Just to add, I know its best to buy a car where you are going to be living, but we are going to travel round the country for several months, and then sell it afterwards and buy something for the long term where we are going to settle, so in this way we are flexible with where what we first buy is registered)

I've bought two cars now. Other than the checks the dealer did, one insurance company required the car be presented for a quick, free inspection at a local garage. Once the ownership has been transferred, you get a bill for the dutiable value of the car and have a few weeks to pay it. That arrives by post, so you'll need an address you can receive that at. I'm not sure what happens when the actual rego expires - think it's a case of turn up at the equivalent of the DVLA office and pay it.

One thing, I'm sure I read this somewhere (but someone tell me if I'm wrong), if selling a vehicle in another state I think there's some sort of complication whereby you may need to attend the licensing office in the state it was purchased from.

Guest The Pom Queen

We have bought in Melbourne and then re registered the car in Queensland. I will do the first one on Melbourne

1) What area you are in - was Melbourne

2) If you brought from a dealer or not (I believe all dealers everywhere need a car inspection when selling?) Yes

3) If you had to have a car inspection when you rego'd your car - No you only need a road worthy when you come to sell the car and it is the sellers responsibility if they know it's going to fail they will try and sell without a Road Worthy, a little like buying a car with no MOT.

4) What the cost was to register your car to you: Ok you firstly have the transfer fee which if you are buying from a dealer they usually pay but it's around $5.60, if you buying privately then I think it's $32.90. Then unfortunately you have to pay the duty:sad: again this varies on whether you are buying the car private or from a dealer and also how much the car is worth. If it's from a dealer and it's a new car under $58k it is approx $5 per $200. If you are buying privately it is $8 per $200 of the market value. This is something you really need to remember when you are buying a car privately, usually if buying from a dealer you can organise an all inclusive price.

5) How much rego was (and for how long). Approx $600 for 12 months

6) anything else you think needs saying about where you are (ie, its a pain/easy/anything else :biggrin: ) It's easier sometimes buying from a dealer than private. Also a lot of people who buy privately forget about the duty payable so it can make the car quite expensive.

When we relocated to Queensland, even though we had just had a Vic Roadworthy done we needed to have another done. You also have to pay again for your road tax and then claim the remainder back from the state the car was originally registered in. I found the whole process a nightmare to be honest. Although I am sure 2nd time round it would be easier.

Guest chris955

Incredibly every State has totally different laws for just about every aspect of getting a car on the road. When you buy a car here in Queensland and it is registered the seller MUST supply a roadworthy certificate (MOT). Then you need to change it into your name and pay stamp duty on the purchase price. Registration and 3rd Party (PERSONAL INJURY ONLY) insurance varies depending on the car, ours just came through and is $788 a year or $40 more if you dont pay by the due date. Not cheap when you add voluntary damage insurance on top. NSW rego seems to be more expensive and SA is I think cheaper.

This is all good guys, many thanks - anyone else from anywhere else able to chip in?

Moving to Melbourne - thats brill, thank you - the duty doesn't actually sound too bad, annoying (it should only be about $500 on what we are looking at really), but one of those things I guess, we were thinking it might be a lot more, so thats actually a relief.

Once we settle we will look to buy a SA registered car, but we are thinking of going to the backpackers market in Sydney to pick something up for the travels (don't worry - OH has mechanic experience), so its good to know the differences in different states (and we reckon we can get to ACT/QLD/NSW/SA or VIC in the 14 days we have to register it once we've brought it - NT and WA might be a bit too far and Tassie is a hassle), so most interested in those states I guess).

Keep 'em coming guys :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
I'm trying to research buying a car when we finally get there, and have trawled each state's website, but not sure if I have the correct information (in case they are just not making it clear etc ie - I think SA you only have to pay rego, and no pink slip, but not sure) so wondered if kindly people in each state/territory here could chip in with the regulations where they are/what they did when buying/selling a car? I've also tried searching numerous websites to see if there is a round up of this info anywhere, and can't seem to find it, so thought it might be helpful....

I know there are differences between having a car inspection/road worthiness/pink slip etc etc and not in different places, so if anyone could reply and say:

1) What area you are in Purchased in WA

2) If you brought from a dealer or not (I believe all dealers everywhere need a car inspection when selling?)Brought privately/No inspection as was fully regd

3) If you had to have a car inspection when you rego'd your carNo

4) What the cost was to register your car to you$600

5) How much rego was (and for how long).12 months

6) anything else you think needs saying about where you are (ie, its a pain/easy/anything else :biggrin: )

Many thanks - sure it will be helpful to more than just us....

(Just to add, I know its best to buy a car where you are going to be living, but we are going to travel round the country for several months, and then sell it afterwards and buy something for the long term where we are going to settle, so in this way we are flexible with where what we first buy is registered)

Pixie that was for WA

Now for Tasmania

1) What area you are in WA to Tasmania

2) If you brought from a dealer or not (I believe all dealers everywhere need a car inspection when selling?)Brought privately but drove interstate to Tasmania

3) If you had to have a car inspection when you rego'd your car Yes car had to go over the pits by law

4) What the cost was to register your car to you$500

5) How much rego was (and for how long).$500 for 12 months

6) anything else you think needs saying about where you are (ie, its a pain/easy/anything else :biggrin: )Easy as:biggrin:

Archived