Aircraft Mechanic - TRA advice

Guest pabloke99

Guest pabloke99

Hi all,

I am about to start compiling information for my TRA submission. I am an Aircraft Technician in the British armed forces and I am a little unsure as to the extent of the evidence that I need to provide in order to get the TRA approved first time. Do I need to go back 20 years or just give evidence of the last few years work? Have any PIO members encountered similar dilemmas or perhaps been unsuccessful with the TRA due to providing insufficient evidence?

All feedback gratefully received.

Many thanks, Paul

Hi all,

I am about to start compiling information for my TRA submission. I am an Aircraft Technician in the British armed forces and I am a little unsure as to the extent of the evidence that I need to provide in order to get the TRA approved first time. Do I need to go back 20 years or just give evidence of the last few years work? Have any PIO members encountered similar dilemmas or perhaps been unsuccessful with the TRA due to providing insufficient evidence?

All feedback gratefully received.

Many thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,

The assessing process for motor mechanics has changed as of 1 September 2007. It is now a two stage process. The first step involves a paper application in which you must go back to your first years in the trade, quoting as much details (and verifiying it) as possible. The formative years are crucial, even if you have been in the trade for 20+ years.

If you pass this stage, you will be invited to undergo a practical test. If you pass this test as well you will be granted a positive skills assessment, which you need in order to lodge a valid application for permanent residency in Australia.

If you are willing to spend the money, it may be worth getting the assistance of a migration agent to better your chances at passing the first time. The Visa Bureau (Visa Bureau: NZ, Canadian, American, Australian visa service) will give you a free assessment (and more information regarding the above).

Feel free to ask if you have more questions...

Kathryn

Hi Pabloke99, give as much information as you can, over as many years as you can, not sure as if your would be the same as my oh, but he had to write down every tool that he has used/uses, down to a pen and pencil, so give as much as you can........

There are some guy's on here from the armed forces that are going to join the Oz forces, as long as this keeps poping up I'm sure one of them will see it, and reassure you.

Good luck

KP Nuts

Hi You Have To Do A Full Work History Ie / 20 Yrs/ All Training History ./certificates ./health And Safty Training . Licences ./any Thing You Might Think Useful . In Fact Anything Even If You Dont Think Its Relevanvt The More Info You Can Supply The Better As Far As They Are Concerend

All Copies Must Be Certified And Signed By A Jp /dont Send Original Copies ..send Copies ..take At Least 4 Photo Copies Of Every Thing So You Can Cross Refrence At A Later Date .

Dont Know If Aircraft Tech Now Comes Under Tra ../or /veetases.you Would Have To Check That First ..cheers

Paul,

Your skill (as a motor mechanic) will now be assessed by VETASSES.

I'm sorry Kathryn, when has an Aircraft technician been a Motor Mechanic????????????

Mr KP Nut.

Sorry - my error - would you (Paul) be applying for a skills assessment as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) or an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics)?

In either case the application would be assessed by the TRA and would not be a two stage process, although you would have to show at least 900 hrs formal training and 5 years experience.

Sorry for the mix up! I somehow read Automotive Technician.

Guest pabloke99

Wow, you guys work pretty fast. Thanks for the replies - I too had applied to join the ADF but decided to go it alone after 11 wasted months' efforts. (22 yrs in green is enough for any man). I am also undecided about whether to use an agent, I've had some reasonable advice from one agent today but I've been quoted £1700 plus VAT which seems a bit steep!

Paul

Hi Pabloke99, we are using a company called G0 Matilda, they have been excellent so far, they have offices in the UK and OZ, they returned e-mails straight away, and have a cost set out at the begining, so no extra's that suddenly pop up. A lot of people on this site have used them.

Give me a PM if you want their number and contact

Good luck

KP Nuts

Guest ed champ

Hi Pabloke I Recently Passed The Tra As An Aircraft Avionic Engineer. I Served In The Raf For 6 Years. Thats All I Sent Was My Raf Reference And Discharge Papers Which Included My Character Reference And Duties And Equipment Used At My Rank Of Junior Technician. I Also Sent A Reference From My Current Employer Of 2 Years. I Flew Through. I Think Some People Are Being Over Cautious Especially When You See How Detailed The Forces Write Up Is.

Hope This Helps

Ed

Guest The Smiths

My OH is applying for Aircraft Mechanical Engineer with the TRA. Hubby served in RAF for 12 years and is now at aerospace. Just photocoping all his documents at mo. Unfortunately, he has too also do IELTS test to gain the extra 5 points needed. Do you know which state is in demand for this type of employment. any advice would be great.

Debs

Guest pabloke99

South Australia are sponsoring Aircraft Engineers, it may delay the process by a couple of months as firstly have your TRA approved, then seek sponsorship from SA (however you do that) then apply for a skilled independent migrant regionally sponsored Visa. That is exactly what was recommended to me yesterday by a potential agent but fortunately my wife has an uncle in Sydney who has agreed to sponsor us. Good Luck

Hi,

In order to obtain sponsorship from South Australia under the Skilled Indepent Regional scheme you need to first obtain a positive skills assessment (like Debs suggested), and then apply (online) for state sponsorship. You will need to send copies of some documents, such as the positive skills assessment. The online application will require that you do some research into life in SA, as there are questions which require you to state why you have chosen to emigrate there (aside from just being able to be sponsored!!).

However, with Aircraft Engineer on the MODL list, it is unlikely that sponsorship would be necessary (except in the cases of applicants over 40 years old).

Archived