CHOICE say Australia is a rip off

Guest siamsusie

Guest guest36762
Yes that's a very good point, you see this sort of behaviour everywhere. You only have to look at any distater anywhere in the world and human nature shines through, people help people, it's what they do. It isn't Australian or British or American, it's just human nature but the media especially would have us believe it is some sort of unique Aussie characteristic.

:shocked:

You're saying it's not?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

It may come as a shock for some but no it isnt. :biggrin:

:shocked:

You're saying it's not?

Guest guest36762
It may come as a shock for some but no it isnt. :biggrin:

one thing I'd say IS a uniquely Australian characteristic is the paucity of online retailers. Heck, Harvey Norman actively tried to discourage online shopping cos it was ruining his business. Oh, and there was a fear of little Aussie battlers not having jobs...

He gave up, funnily enough cos he got no sympathy from the public, and apparently has set up an online retail website, in 2011!

I remember back in 2008 trying to buy stuff online here and was frankly bemused by the lack of web presence of major retailers.

People say living here is good because it's like living in the 1960's, I agree, but it wasn't all good back then. People had dodgy haircuts, wine was considered posh, there was no internet and I wasn't born yet...

one thing I'd say IS a uniquely Australian characteristic is the paucity of online retailers. Heck, Harvey Norman actively tried to discourage online shopping cos it was ruining his business. Oh, and there was a fear of little Aussie battlers not having jobs...

He did more than that. he lobbied the government to remove the $1000 GST threshold on imported goods, meaning 10% increase in price to everything ordered online to all Australians. Thats Gerry Harvey's "mateship" for you.

The first flaw in his rather insular plan was that even with 10% added, goods would still be about 50% cheaper than buying from his stores.

The second flaw with his plan is that everyone saw what a whinging shyster he was trying to be and they reacted to him.

The third flaw in his plan is that the implemention and running costs of this sort of system would cost far more than any GST revenue raised as a result.

Guest guest36762
He did more than that. he lobbied the government to remove the $1000 GST threshold on imported goods, meaning 10% increase in price to everything ordered online to all Australians. Thats Gerry Harvey's "mateship" for you.

The first flaw in his rather insular plan was that even with 10% added, goods would still be about 50% cheaper than buying from his stores.

The second flaw with his plan is that everyone saw what a whinging shyster he was trying to be and they reacted to him.

The third flaw in his plan is that the implemention and running costs of this sort of system would cost far more than any GST revenue raised as a result.

clearly you're more atune with the nitty gritty facts of the matter than me and my vague woolly grasp of current affairs, but I think we both agree

Guest guest36762
absolutely :biggrin:

moving on then,

what about the banks, airline industry, supermarkets, clothing retailers, petrol retailers?

moving on then,

what about the banks, airline industry, supermarkets, clothing retailers, petrol retailers?

hmmm hhhh mmmm [clears throat] mmmmhmmhmhmh.

right, lets begin.

actually I saw something amusing yesterday morning. I buy my morning coffee from the same place every day. The coffee is pretty good, but as a side note it probably means I have OCD).

Anwyay, an American guy, presumably in Sydney on business, ordered a coffee and a bacon and egg sandwich which came to about $10 or something.

He couldnt quite fathom that out. It was quite funny because he said "10 dollars? you didnt put whisky in the coffee, or something, did you?....just a coffee and a pastry right? ....Are you able to you put some whisky in the coffee please?"

Guest guest36762
hmmm hhhh mmmm [clears throat] mmmmhmmhmhmh.

right, lets begin.

actually I saw something amusing yesterday morning. I buy my morning coffee from the same place every day. The coffee is pretty good, but as a side note it probably means I have OCD).

Anwyay, an American guy, presumably in Sydney on business, ordered a coffee and a bacon and egg sandwich which came to about $10 or something.

He couldnt quite fathom that out. It was quite funny because he said "10 dollars? you didnt put whisky in the coffee, or something, did you?....just a coffee and a pastry right? ....Are you able to you put some whisky in the coffee please?"

:biglaugh:

says it all, case closed.

That may possibly be true of regional areas but this country seems just as obsessed with labels and keeping up with the latest and greatest as anywhere else.

thats true ,i wear stubbies speedos and bonds

Guest chris955

You surprise me, I thought you would want to support Aussie industry ? :wink:

thats true ,i wear stubbies speedos and bonds

Guest guest36762
Yes - the American economy is well and truly stuffed...and it will probably do wonders for public health their too.

got nothing to do with the price of a coffee has it?

what about sub prime mortgages......

Guest guest36762
Its got everything to do with the price of a coffee.

if you're somehow implying that Aus's protectionist culture has prevented a recession, I think you're mistaken

Archived