IELTS or NOT IELTS, that is the question??????

Guest jimmurray

Guest jimmurray

HI guys,

Some info please, :chatterbox:

I recently sat the f###ing IELTS exam and scored 8.5 in 3 of the sections and 6.5 in writing, :realmad: now i am stuck, I have a job offer which i have taken but was under the impression that i needed the IELTS, the problem or advice that i would like to be discussed on here is... has anybody else sat it and failed then challenged the decision? if so what was the outcome and how long did you wait? Secondly I contacted the nursing registration board who stated because i was educated in the U.K. I dont need to do the bloody thing.:arghh::arghh::arghh:.

Could anybody enlighten me. So confused its not funny anymore.

Cheers Jim

I cant talk about re sitting the test. But you dont NEED to do it. I chose to do it at the time as I needed some extra points. The point system has changed since i applied in what now feels like the dark ages, but i was 5 points short, and 5 extra points with the IELTS.

I cant talk about re sitting the test. But you dont NEED to do it. I chose to do it at the time as I needed some extra points. The point system has changed since i applied in what now feels like the dark ages, but i was 5 points short, and 5 extra points with the IELTS.

I think OP is a nurse, in which case they will need to do it for skills assessment.

Guest jimmurray
I think OP is a nurse, in which case they will need to do it for skills assessment.

Hi pumpkin, yes i am a nurse, and i explained this to the australian board who say you do not need it. This is doin my head in.

Ta

Hi pumpkin, yes i am a nurse, and i explained this to the australian board who say you do not need it. This is doin my head in.

Ta

A lot of people have seen some ambiguity in those instructions around whether nurses need IELTS, but the conclusions (which I have seen professionals express) is that IELTs is required for all internationally qualified nurses. This is definitely the case for skills assessment, what I do not know is whether nurse registration is different as I am guessing you are not doing a skills assessment but going on a temporary sponsored visa?

Sorry I can't help with the technicals of nurse registration etc, but as you got such a difference in the different sections, and the low mark is in writing, you could apply to get it remarked. If the score goes up you get the remark fee back.

(as a side comment - I think I took the same test as you, and am completely in agreement at the wtf comment about the writing topic - I seriously had no idea and blathered on about Band Aid and political rallies I think LOL!!)

Guest cyprus2008

Ta

Hi i didnt do ielts i know there has been lots of discussions bout this especially for AHPRA, and i had my skills asessment without it and just been granted my visa as long as u can provide evidence u was taught in english in secondary school this was fine for me, did u keep evidence for that the australian board said u didnt have to do ielts eg email, thats what i done when applying for ahpra i sent the email they sent me stating i didnt have to sit the ielts as long as i provided evidence, good luck cause i know how stressful it all is! hayley

Guest jimmurray

correct but i was hoping that once there and the pressure is off i would be easier to apply for permanent residency, then if the ielts is still a must i could resit it

Guest tandcmum

if you are going for an independent skilled visa 175/176 then you need to do the IELTS for the skills assessment.

AHPRA themselves don't need the IELTS if you can prove that your secondry and uni education was in english, this can either be proved by a letter from your school or a statutory declaration.

If you get your registration first you can do a modified skills assessment and in this case you don't need IELTS, however under the new points system i think most people will need to do IELTS to gain extra points and i think many states also require it for state sponsorship on the 176 visa.

I am going over ona sponsored visa so do not ned to do IELTS, however if when i am over there my employer won't sponsor me for a ENS visa after a while then i shall have to do my IELTS and apply for a state sponsorship and 176 visa

Archived