mature student

Guest pictish

Guest pictish

Hi there,

I am looking at studying in the cairns area and have some questions regarding courses ect.

I am still unsure as to what course to take with the view of potential employment in OZ afterwards. There appears to be a shortage of many types of skills. I am currently a prison officer in scotland but before this I worked as a chef[ most kitchen areas upto headchef] as well as short stints in the equestrian world. I also have reasonable IT skills which could be expanded upon.

I have the required education to gain entry into university for a science based course but I was thinking of a college course diploma in IT or a trade. Are the diploma level 3/4 certs actually worth doing as the UK courses are actually cheaper to do HND./HNC /svq level 3.

Will employers take you on if you have the OZ certs or while you are at the college. Is it hard to get a work visa after your study visa.

thx,

Garry

Hi there,

I am looking at studying in the cairns area and have some questions regarding courses ect.

I am still unsure as to what course to take with the view of potential employment in OZ afterwards. There appears to be a shortage of many types of skills. I am currently a prison officer in scotland but before this I worked as a chef[ most kitchen areas upto headchef] as well as short stints in the equestrian world. I also have reasonable IT skills which could be expanded upon.

I have the required education to gain entry into university for a science based course but I was thinking of a college course diploma in IT or a trade. Are the diploma level 3/4 certs actually worth doing as the UK courses are actually cheaper to do HND./HNC /svq level 3.

Will employers take you on if you have the OZ certs or while you are at the college. Is it hard to get a work visa after your study visa.

thx,

Garry

I'm currently studying as a mature student, so this is what I know (not too much admittedly). As a non citizen you'll probably have to pay full fees for your course. The system in Aus is TAFE for everything up to advanced diploma roughly equivalent to HNC/HND & Uni for degrees onwards. My HNC was classed as equivalent to Associate Diplima (now advanced diploma I think?) without any problems. I think BTEC is a trusted institution. I would be careful to ensure its not a dodgy or unknown accreditor if you choose to study in the UK.

In my experience the boundaries between professional, para professional, Trade & unskilled are clearly defined, more so than UK. It depends on the job you want to do later so choose carefully.

Mature apprenticeships seem much more common & some trades are currently very well paid. However, ask yourself why you'd be chosen for a mature apprenticeship over an equally good choice of a local? This may not be an issue if a gov type institiution make placements but its my experience businesses decide to take a mature apprentice then go looking?

Guest pictish

Im still lookign through all the details regarding apprenticeships but I havnt seen much on here about people getting a visa that way. From what i have read alot of apprentices drop out over there some figures indicated almost 50% but then if their recruiting direct from school ect thats pretty normal world wide as alot of people change carrer paths at that age.

Ive checked some of the job sites for apprentice jobs most dont mention ages but all state they want someone with PR status. There appears to be tons of chef work and apprentice places in catering all over OZ but not much in the way of plumbers/sparkies/electronics ect.

It may be worth me doing the courses at college in OZ then trying my luck.

Hello there,

There are pathways but as an education rep we cannot give migration advice, nor can institutions, but eligibility calculator on Department of Immigration and Citizenship could help.

International mature age candidates have advantage in job market because 1. You are paying fees so are serious 2. for PR outcomes you must stick with it 3. Employers are aware that mature candidates already have good soft or work skills e.g. problem solving, time management etc.

We can advise and place you, no hidden fee, same via AIEC or direct, your fees are paid direct to institution under govt. trust.

Up north, Cairns Tropical Northern QLD TAFE or Townsville Barrier Reef TAFE with Barrier probably having more relevant courses, spoke with them today.

Any questions get in touch via website or PM.

Cheers Andrew

Archived