Can I Take My Tv

Guest afiyafifi

Guest afiyafifi

:unsure:Hi all , been reading in the australian mag i just bought that you can not take your tv or dvd player over to oz as there not compatable is this true as i have just bought a 42 inch tv . karen

Hi

I have just found a similar question which i replied to a few weeks back.... but it basically answers your question regarding your TV....:

Over a 120 countries use PAL for television reception.....

The 5 common PAL types are B, G, D, H or I

Australia uses PAL B/G

The UK uses PAL I

Modern TV's (plasmas and LCD's) are mostly manufactured in the Far East and have tuners which can be set to the different PAL standards. Therefore, all you need to check is that on the TV set up you can switch from PAL I to PAL B/G.

Obviously this is for analogue transmission which most countries are phasing out in favour of digital transmission. Australia is still debating the standard for digital transmission, therefore you might not be able to use a built in digital tuner.

Would suggest that you buy an LCD with the ability to tune all PAL standards (which should be standard), but do not get a built in digital tuner. Buy the box separate (25 quid) for the time being. Take that to OZ just in case they change to the UK standard on digital transmission. If not buy the digibox in OZ and plug into LCD set bought here.

I would be surprised if the issue of the Analogue Tuner is that important. Analogue gives poor picture in comparrison to Digital and of course on a plasma or LCD the effect of poor reception is amplified. The important thing is to get a TV that has SCARTS a plenty, for digiboxs and VCR's DVD players etc. Then it will work anywhere in the world regardless.

Also with regards your DVD player..... as gazza rightly says.... it all depends on regions ... if your DVD player is a multi region one... which basically means plays all DVD regions from around the world then you will be fine... if it is only a UK region player then don't dispair... as i have also answered this as well:

For those of you worried about taking your UK region 2 DVD players to OZ incase you can't play new DVD's etc..... Don't worry... i have found this site which has region hacks for virtually all the DVD players on the market.... and the best bit is that you can get your code for FREE.... and it works!!

heres the site: DVD Reviewer - Multi-Region Hacks

With your code inplace you can play not only the UK region 2 dvd's but every region out there!!!......

Just click on the bar in the middle of the page and find your player to make it multi region...

Hope this information helps

min x:wubclub:

Guest jonseywife

Wow.... what a great explaination !!!!!!!!

Even I understood that !!!!!!!!! Not sure if the OH will though !!!!! :twitcy:

Thanks Min...... :notworthy:

Guest afiyafifi
Hi

I have just found a similar question which i replied to a few weeks back.... but it basically answers your question regarding your TV....:

Over a 120 countries use PAL for television reception.....

The 5 common PAL types are B, G, D, H or I

Australia uses PAL B/G

The UK uses PAL I

Modern TV's (plasmas and LCD's) are mostly manufactured in the Far East and have tuners which can be set to the different PAL standards. Therefore, all you need to check is that on the TV set up you can switch from PAL I to PAL B/G.

Obviously this is for analogue transmission which most countries are phasing out in favour of digital transmission. Australia is still debating the standard for digital transmission, therefore you might not be able to use a built in digital tuner.

Would suggest that you buy an LCD with the ability to tune all PAL standards (which should be standard), but do not get a built in digital tuner. Buy the box separate (25 quid) for the time being. Take that to OZ just in case they change to the UK standard on digital transmission. If not buy the digibox in OZ and plug into LCD set bought here.

I would be surprised if the issue of the Analogue Tuner is that important. Analogue gives poor picture in comparrison to Digital and of course on a plasma or LCD the effect of poor reception is amplified. The important thing is to get a TV that has SCARTS a plenty, for digiboxs and VCR's DVD players etc. Then it will work anywhere in the world regardless.

Also with regards your DVD player..... as gazza rightly says.... it all depends on regions ... if your DVD player is a multi region one... which basically means plays all DVD regions from around the world then you will be fine... if it is only a UK region player then don't dispair... as i have also answered this as well:

For those of you worried about taking your UK region 2 DVD players to OZ incase you can't play new DVD's etc..... Don't worry... i have found this site which has region hacks for virtually all the DVD players on the market.... and the best bit is that you can get your code for FREE.... and it works!!

heres the site: DVD Reviewer - Multi-Region Hacks

With your code inplace you can play not only the UK region 2 dvd's but every region out there!!!......

Just click on the bar in the middle of the page and find your player to make it multi region...

Hope this information helps

min x:wubclub:

hi , thanks for all that info thats one problem sorted thanks again ..karen

The screen will work but the reciever inside might not. I asked the question to 'Digital Broadcasting Australia' - here was their response:

There are significant differences between the United Kingdom and the Australian digital television transmissions. Both markets utilise the PAL analogue television standard for displaying analogue programming and the DVB-T transmission standard with MPEG2 for digital programming however the major difference is that the United Kingdom requires an 8MHz tuner while the Australian market uses 7MHz tuners. Many major brands use tuners that are capable of receiving both 7 and 8MHz broadcasts however this varies from model to model. Please note that this rule applies both to analogue and digital television.

There are also specific differences in the standards and behaviour of digital television transmissions here in Australia (such as the use of logical channel numbers) which can at best affect the performance and usability of your set top box and at worst render it unusable.

This does not necessarily mean that your Freeview set top box is unsuitable for use in Australia but it is unlikely. The exception will be if the set top box has been built by a major brand or manufacturer who has included appropriate software and setup options to support the standards in use in Australia. My best suggestion is to consult your set top box manual or contact the manufacturer of the box directly to see whether or not the box supports the Australian DVB-T settings. If it does not, I would recommend selling your box in the UK and purchasing an Australian set top box when you get to Melbourne.

A similar scenario exists for your PC DVB-T - if it supports 7MHz tuning and its software allows customisation, you may find that it will work in the Australian market all be it with some likely quirky behaviour.

I Suggest you contact the manufacturer for clarification. Purchase of a new set-top box would seem to be the answer. Hope this is helpful?

Regards

Breezy

I hope this is helpful

:unsure:Hi all , been reading in the australian mag i just bought that you can not take your tv or dvd player over to oz as there not compatable is this true as i have just bought a 42 inch tv . karen

cause you can karen,

we brought our lcd tv from currys in 2003 and it works fine here in oz along with our uk dvd player and every other electrical item you can think off landline phones etc.

We have just brought a lcd 40inch from a shop here in oz (they are quite pricey) and our uk lcd is working fine in the rumpus room

gizmo

Guest afiyafifi
cause you can karen,

we brought our lcd tv from currys in 2003 and it works fine here in oz along with our uk dvd player and every other electrical item you can think off landline phones etc.

We have just brought a lcd 40inch from a shop here in oz (they are quite pricey) and our uk lcd is working fine in the rumpus room

gizmo

THANKS FOR THAT .THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO SELL IT AND I HAVE ONLY HAD IT A COUPLE OF MONTHS .........KAREN

• 1 month later...

We're about to buy a new LCD TV too, and hope to be moving out next year. This is all really good advice but the problem I am having is finding anew LCD TV without a built-in digital tuner! If I then buy a new set top box in Oz, will I be able to plug it in to the TV and override the built in digital / freeview function?

And, has anyone bought a new LCD TV with integrated digital tuner that is now working OK over in Oz?!

Thanks in advance.

Archived