RETIREMENT VISA 410 (pre 30-6-05) PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE

Guest TD

Hi there. Has anyone experience of medical healthcare for 410 visa holders who are not eligable for Medicare. All policies seem to exclude pre-conditions. Do preconditions become covered after a period of time or are they permanent ? Are 410 holders not entitled to the reciprocal medical treatment which British tourists enjoy ? I am concerned that even though we have a comprehensive medical insurance policy in Australia, becuase of the exclusion of Pre-conditions, we risk facing considerable costs which are not covered, sooner or later.

Any advise would be most welcome. Many thanks.

T.D. Sheffield UK.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Picketts

We've just got our 410 retirement visa and have also have taken out private medical insurance (a pre-requisit for the visa). We are with Medibank Private which did not ask for existing conditions but only imposes restrictions on how soon you can claim for current conditions. Check out their website in Australia, we found them very helpful. Hope this helps

Hi Cheryl

Thanks for the info. It has always concerned me as to when a precondition is not a precondition. I did look at Medibank at the time of making the visa application but hit some snag in trying to fix it up over the net. I managed to do it with Australian Unity which surficed for the visa, but having just been in oz for 2 months, could not get any service or sense from them. When renewal time comes and if things are no clearer or better, will look to switch to Medibank. There should be no problem then as we shall be in oz.

Many thank again. TD

Archived