Hi, I'm kinda new...

ScottishMatilda

Hiya everyone...:smile:

Have posted here before but hadn't introduced myself properly. I'm 27 (28 in a few weeks time!) and my partner is 31 and we live near Edinburgh, Scotland. I work in the NHS and my partner is a welder. We got married last October and had our honeymoon in Queensland on the Whitsundays. Both of us had travelled separately to Oz in the past and were desperate to go back as we loved the place so much! What a fabulous time we had and thankfully missed out on the flooding. Loved the people, loved the place and the general atmosphere of it all!

Since we got together (5 years ago) we have discussed maybe one day packing up and heading out to give Oz a fair go! However, it has always felt like a bit of a pipe dream! Currently I am back in training for my job and the course will not finish until 2014. This is hard as my hubby and I would go tomorrow if we could. :frown: We have therefore come up with a cunning 3 year plan to try to ready ourselves for a possible move late 2014. This will hopefully allow us to be financially secure and mentally prepared for a move Down Under.

At the moment we are thinking about where would be the best place to move to and what our visa options are. Can anyone advise on the drawbacks of 457 visa? I understand it is for a 4 year period only? We hope my partners job as a welder would allow us to come over to Oz and him find work without too much hassle. We are anticipating that if we go down permanent residency visa route, that this could take a year.

Happy to hear about anyone else's experiences and recommendations of where to live.

Ta ta for now.

Welcome to PIO seeing as your sorta new Matilda,im on an older PR136 visa so not the best to give advice,all changed now,but i "think" one of the drawbacks of the 457 is that you are dependant on your employer being a good egg? i also "think" if you lose that job thru falling out etc you only have 28 days to get another job.

I would imagine welder is on the SS lists for PR tho isnt it?

Its quiet tonite on here,you'l get better advice tomoz than i can give tbh,but good luck with it all anyway:wink:

Hi Pablo, Joanne and desgs...

Thanks for the warning Joanne. I have already noticed the addictive qualities of POI! Haha!

Pablo, thanks for advice on the drawbacks of 457. The things you point out are the worries I had about going down that route. Would be really scary if hubby got 457 job and then lost it! For that reason I have always thought permanent residency was the way to go. Yes, welder is still on the SOL list (60 points) as is my occupation, once I am qualified.

Anyone got any experience of which visa is best....

Archived